Author Topic: What the...?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Peksa

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What the...?
« on: August 19, 2007, 02:51:55 PM »
Hey, it's been a while.
This weekend I started playing around with darwinbots again and started a couple of evosims. In all of them same behaviour emerged: some bots started shooting ties around, as if reproing conditionlessly. I looked closer on the crazy tie-shooting bots and I saw something quite weird. Check the bugrep.png. Eyes going crazy, huge values in slime and poison and most interestlingly, no mutations. Also, the values seem to change randomly every few cycles.

I've seen the tie-shooting behaviour in most of my evosims, but I havent bothered to check the causes since it ewlooked much like conditionless reproing. I guess I'm not paying enough attention

Only possible explination I can come up is waste, but it shouldn't be problem becouse waste treshold is set to 1 and the sim has been running only for couple of thousand cycles. Waste doesn't cause that big problems so soon, does it?

I attached also the save. The screenshot's a few hundred cycles forward from the save. The tie-shooting bots should start briefly on the left side of screen, just run it for a while.

-P

Offline googlyeyesultra

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What the...?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 02:58:08 PM »
A waste threshold of one means that as soon as a bot hits one waste, it starts randomly doing things. I think you're looking for the -1 value, which means waste never activates.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
What the...?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 08:01:32 PM »
As Googlyeyesultra says, this is the altzhiemers routine kicking in do to waste buid up.  

What you are calling ties are movement vecotrs do to random acceleration vaules in .up, .dn. and so on.  You can turn them off via the View menu...
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
What the...?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 09:33:06 PM »
You might want to look into adding some arrow heads for the movement vectors so it's obvious they aren't ties.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
What the...?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 11:43:32 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
You might want to look into adding some arrow heads for the movement vectors so it's obvious they aren't ties.
Already on it.  There'll be a perf impact, but only if movement vectors and/or the display is turned on.
Many beers....

Offline Peksa

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
What the...?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 06:20:53 AM »
Ohh... I allways thought that smaller the waste treshold, smaller the effect would be. Well that explains a lot  Thanks.