Author Topic: new graph type  (Read 2752 times)

Offline cliftut

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
new graph type
« on: August 06, 2007, 08:09:02 PM »
I know I'm making another suggestion rather soon. I tend to get hit with ideas in rapid succession.

Out of the graphs you can bring up in game, the two I find most useful are the avg. mutations graph and the populations graph (the avg. dna length fascinates me, but having too many graphs covers up the sim and annoys me). I think there are possibilities for new graphs that could be useful. I've thought of one so far.

Strains Graph
When a bot mutates, it becomes another strain within the bot species. A graph that shows how many strains of each species are in the simulation could be useful to show areas of transition. When the number of stains remained above 1 for a relatively long amount of time, it would probably be because the mutations that created the new strains did not cause a major advantage or disadvantage for it. however if the strains dropped back down rather quickly, it would probably because the new strain either won out or died out. You would be able to tell which by seeing if the avg. mutations graph went up or down. If up, then the new strain won out. If down, then the old one won.

This could be useful for more accurately tracing what exactly evolution is doing, and I don't think it would be to difficult to add in.
I want these graphs to look superb. ...
I want these graphs to be scalable. ...
I want these to be the smoothest, most user friendly aspect of the program. I want people to marvel at our superb graphs.
             -Numsgil, motivational speaker at work. ;)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
new graph type
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:57:40 PM »
Generally a long running sim has a mutation every other generation or so.  I think what you're really after is a family tree.  Something that shows the family history of every bot in the sim, overlaid with information on mutations.

Part of the problem with the family tree idea is when you run into viruses.  Things get rather messy.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
new graph type
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:55:27 PM »
I see a lot of value in a graph that gives you a broad brush indication of the degree of the diversity within a "species" or within the sim as a whole if your sim consists of only one or two "species".   Forkign a species lets you focus in on interesting member decendents...

I'll put in on my list.  Bugs take precedence of course and I have a few other feature type things ahead of this in the queue, but you may well see this within a month or two...
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
new graph type
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
This has been implemented in 2.43b.  The graph is called "Species Diversity".  It graphs the number of unique genomes with a "species".   A unique genome is one that has directly experienced one or more mutations or has been infected by a virus.   Thus, each virus infection counts as a unique genome.
Many beers....