Author Topic: Help !!!  (Read 13265 times)

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 08:27:35 AM »
So on the tutorial it says that there should be green and yellow bots, the yellow are T_Preservans, so I must add them and the green bots, but what bots are the green ???

EDIT: Oh I added the T_Preservans and they are green ???

Ok forget that they always change the colors when I add them but now its harder to find out what where the green ones !??
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 08:30:12 AM by Nikica »
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 12:27:33 PM »
Most people probably have the veg as green and normally the veg is alga_minimalis. Make sure it is the first one on your 'loaded species list''
Now click on it so the name 'alga_minimalis' is highlighted in blue, set 'individuals' to 10 'starting energy' to 3000 and tick the 'vegetable' box
Also there is a pull down box where you can select the colour, so set that to green.

All of these can be found on the screen that appears when you choose 'new simulation', you don't need to use any of the other tabs at the top for now.

If you are flicking backwards and forwards between the 'new simulation' screen and the internet then you do need to make sure that 'alga_minimalis' is highlighted in blue each time you make one of these changes.

When you have done all of that add 'T_Preservans' to your 'loaded species list', set 'individuals' to 5 'starting energy' to 3000 and make sure the 'vegetable' box is not ticked.
Also use the pull down box again but this time set the colour to yellow.

If you don't choose the colour for each bot yourself the program will give it a colour which is the problem you were having.

Hey presto! Start your new sim, you should now have yellow T_Preservans running around trying to eat the green veg.

T_Preservans is an old bot so it might not work that well, if you want help learning how to download a newer bot to try out then just say and I'll provide instructions on how to do that as well!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:29:14 PM by Jez »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »
Quote from: Jez
Most people probably have the veg as green and normally the veg is alga_minimalis. Make sure it is the first one on your 'loaded species list''
Now click on it so the name 'alga_minimalis' is highlighted in blue, set 'individuals' to 10 'starting energy' to 3000 and tick the 'vegetable' box
Also there is a pull down box where you can select the colour, so set that to green.

All of these can be found on the screen that appears when you choose 'new simulation', you don't need to use any of the other tabs at the top for now.

If you are flicking backwards and forwards between the 'new simulation' screen and the internet then you do need to make sure that 'alga_minimalis' is highlighted in blue each time you make one of these changes.

When you have done all of that add 'T_Preservans' to your 'loaded species list', set 'individuals' to 5 'starting energy' to 3000 and make sure the 'vegetable' box is not ticked.
Also use the pull down box again but this time set the colour to yellow.

If you don't choose the colour for each bot yourself the program will give it a colour which is the problem you were having.

Hey presto! Start your new sim, you should now have yellow T_Preservans running around trying to eat the green veg.

T_Preservans is an old bot so it might not work that well, if you want help learning how to download a newer bot to try out then just say and I'll provide instructions on how to do that as well!

Ok, I know hov to download bots, but in that way how it's spelled Beastiary or Bestiary, and I don't really understand the highlighted sentence, so in that way I highlighted the veggie bot but when I clicked the button to Opera (my browser), and then clicked back to the DarwinBots screen the "New simulation" tab disapered ???
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 01:44:45 PM »
Yeah, you also have to keep reopening the 'new sim' bit each time. Each of the changes you make for the bot while the 'new sim' bit is open will be remembered for you when you open it again though. Just make sure the bot that you want to change things for is highlighted each time.

Or you could shrink the DB window and the internet window so you can read the instructions at the same time as making the changes... (I only just thought of that but probably the easiest way!)

(You can move the 'simulation settings' window around the screen so it's easy enough).
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 01:55:30 PM »
Thanks but you don't said how it's spelled Beastiary or without the a, and I saw Ymir there but the link to the text file is not more working so I copied the text in a *.txt file but Numsgil didn't wrote only the DNA he gave some comments too so I copied them too (I copied evrything from the theard), my question is when I copy the comments too will the DNA be proper, and what too do after finishing the "Your First Simulation" tutuorial ???
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »
It's spelt Bestiary.

All the comments are started with a ' this means that DB ignores the line that follows so yes, Ymir's DNA that you copied will be fine. It's comments that don't start with a ' that cause problems.

I suggest after finishing the 'first simulation tutorial' you have a go at writing your own bot! Or, if you are more interested in the evolution side of the game you could have a go at evolving your own bot.

The Robot tutorial; http://www.darwinbots.com/WikiManual/index...=Robot_Tutorial is a good place to start for writing your own bot.

If it's the evolution side of the game you are interested in then try; http://www.darwinbots.com/WikiManual/index...=Evolution_Sims and I can find you some links to posts on the forum as well.

My first bot btw was just an attempt to get the bot to survive on its own among the veg, you don't have to start by trying to win the leagues!

EDIT; *note to self (or volunteer) rewrite 'your first sim' tutorial to deal with problems Nikica found.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 02:40:06 PM by Jez »
Douglas Adams

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 02:42:31 PM »
I found about DarwinBots in a magazine, and they said that the developer (Carlo) disabled the feature to make Veggies, is this now enabled ???
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 02:42:50 PM by Nikica »
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 03:08:18 PM »
Sweet! Which magazine?

I've been around DB for a few years, since a bit before PY first took up the reigns and started tinkering with the code, the first person to take over after Carlo but I don't remember veggies ever being disabled, any bot that has 'vegetable' ticked is a veg by default. We've always needed veg to provide an input of energy to the sim.

Being a 'veg' just means that the bot gets energy added to it each cycle. It's the same as any other bot otherwise.

Unless someone wishes to correct me - Journalists! Who can trust them?  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 03:09:23 PM by Jez »
Douglas Adams

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 03:16:56 PM »
The magazine's name is "enter" it is our Croatian magazine for PC Games, Software & Hardware, so they said you cant make an autotrofic predator (I don't know if the english word is autotrofic) !!!
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 04:07:36 PM »
Autotrofic isn't an English word but it sounds similar to the Autotrof word that Carlo used originally. (Italian IIRC) I guess it is similar to Autotrophic ("self feeding" in Greek.)

As long as you tick the 'vegetable - Autotrof' box then any bot can be a veg though, even one as deadly as Guardian, our latest 'top bot'!
Douglas Adams

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 05:09:32 AM »
Yes, self feeding would be that what I ment, anyway I can now finally start with the Robot DNA Tutorial   !!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 05:10:14 AM by Nikica »
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 05:49:28 PM »
Good luck with writing your first bot btw, I look forward to seeing your it, even if it doesn't beat those latest monstrosities leading the leagues at the moment!

If you need any help, even for things you feel are stupid mistakes, then don't feel embarassed to ask on the forum about your code, there are lots of people here (.I.e. me) who have made mistakes before, we'd all be happy to help.

(Also some very skillful bot writers who are happy to share their knowledge!)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 05:51:13 PM by Jez »
Douglas Adams

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 06:03:52 AM »
I decided to make an update, I didn't started with the Robot Dna Tutorial becuase darwinBots is form me on a two (2) week hiatus, I am busy with other thing but I will get back to DB in 2 weeks or less !!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 06:04:35 AM by Nikica »
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »
I think it's good to read the "Reference Manuals" before starting with the "Robot Tutorial", but which, the first three (Robot DNA, Concepts, Simulation Options) or all ???
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Quote from: Nikica
I think it's good to read the "Reference Manuals" before starting with the "Robot Tutorial", but which, the first three (Robot DNA, Concepts, Simulation Options) or all ???

I suggest you start with Purple Youko's tutorial, read down to and use the simplebot link. If you read through simplebot and perhaps try out some of the versions then you should get a pretty good idea of what's going on. (You can just read through it all though, it is a very good step by step introduction to some of the basic ideas behind writing a bot.)

I have looked again but haven't read through all of the simplebot stuff or tested it; I'm afraid some of the information is out of date now but it looked a pretty good introduction to genes and the stack though.

Following that read the basic bot tutorial, you'll have a good idea of how genes work by then and the tutorial provides a link to learn about the 'stack' if you need more information.

The reference manuals are just a bunch of facts and figures, I don't think it will help you understand how bots work as well as those two tutorials.

If you find problems with PY's tutorial just pop back here and I'll sort it out, values being different and some of the old bots he's suggests trying it against are some you might find. (It is an old tutorial after all!)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 12:23:32 PM by Jez »
Douglas Adams