Author Topic: Help !!!  (Read 13379 times)

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« on: July 14, 2007, 02:34:07 PM »
Is there some alternative on the new site for the documentation on the old site so that I am not dependent to the old site ???
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Martian

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 03:23:01 PM »
Quote from: Nikica
Is there some alternative on the new site for the documentation on the old site so that I am not dependent to the old site ???

The new site is mostly documentation. For example
Robot Tutorials
A list of sysvars

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 03:30:02 PM »
Ok, thanks !!!
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 11:59:20 AM »
So I read the introduction and I dont really get the last sentence, is it illegal to add *.pain in your DNA ???
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Martian

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 12:04:48 PM »
Quote from: Nikica
So I read the introduction and I dont really get the last sentence, is it illegal to add *.pain in your DNA ???

No. It's just a joke.

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 09:25:46 AM »
Is it good to overwrite the old Sysvars with the new ???
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 06:41:43 PM »
When you install the latest stuff if if it asks if you want to overwrite stuff always choose yes. If you don't overwrite the older sysvars when it asks you to DB will still work but it won't let you use any of the newer syvars.

If it doesn't ask you to overwrite stuff you don't need to do it manually though, not any more, our esteemed programers have got the whole thing pretty much sorted on that front.

Hope that helps. If you are still having problems we will be happy to try and sort them out!

Sorry about the *.pain thing confusing you btw, was just an inhouse joke, sort of like it's cruel to make your bot feel pain. Maybe something that should be removed from the Wiki in future to stop other people getting confused.  
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline googlyeyesultra

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 08:46:59 PM »
If anything, we need more jokes. Maybe we should add a sysvar that allows a bot to see if it was dead last cycle? Hmm...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 10:56:06 PM »
Quote from: googlyeyesultra
If anything, we need more jokes. Maybe we should add a sysvar that allows a bot to see if it was dead last cycle? Hmm...

Heh, that made me laugh.  The really funny thing is that it might actually have been useful at some point.  There were alot of weird errors in the past

Offline Martian

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 02:53:29 AM »
I added a smiley after it in the wiki to make it clear that it is a joke.  

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 03:51:51 AM »
Thanks much, I have one more question (I hope that's the last in this theard):

What happened to Carlo is he still working on the project, is he active on the forum, or what ???
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 04:11:00 AM »
He'll pop in from time to time to see what's up, but it's been a long time since he actively contributed.

Offline Nikica

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 04:27:43 AM »
I am now reading "Your First Simulation" and it says that I should click New Simulation -> Start siumaltion

And then it says that I should see bots but there is no "Start simulation" button, so I clicked "Start new" but I don't see bots, help ???
I Am Nikica !!!

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 06:27:19 AM »
Before you click 'start new' check your loaded species list, they are the bots your new simulation will use.

The first one is normally Alga_Minimalis, it should have the vegtable box ticked (if you select it), following that are normally the bots you are playing with. (Which don't have the vegtable box ticked).

From the sounds of it though you haven't got any bots in the loaded species list and if that's the case click 'add new species' and choose some bots from there.

If there are bots in the list (and you can't see any bots when you start the sim) then click on each of them and check that the 'individuals' and 'starting energy' boxes have (normally) 5 and 3000

The bots should appear as moving circles on the screen, if you still can't see anything though then tell us and we'll check some other bits.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Help !!!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 06:54:41 AM »
There might be some issues with older settings files.  I remember Eric fixed some major bugs in the settings files that at one point made it so that older settings files wouldn't work right.  I think he gave the program an "upgrader" to automatically take care of these things, but maybe it isn't working right here.

Either way, follow Jez's advice.  That'll let us know what's up.