Author Topic: Overflow  (Read 3400 times)

Offline strangers

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Overflow
« on: June 27, 2007, 12:31:23 AM »
While running an evo sim with Animal Minimalis, after some 200k cycles I got an overflow error. I was running it with all the speed increasing things turned on.  

http://h1.ripway.com/Strangers007/ErrorSim.zip

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Overflow
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »
I can't seem to reproduce the overflow.  A tip for when you start a new sim, set the user seed in random numbers under the general tab to any value.  That way the sim will (theoretically) be 100% reproducable.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Overflow
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 02:40:48 AM »
Took me forever but I reproduced the overflow.  But I wasn't running it in VB so I have no idea what happened.  Try loading your error.sim into Darwinbots and seeing if it'll let you continue.  Mine does.  Seems to be some sort of phantom bug

Offline strangers

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Overflow
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:02:52 PM »
Yeah, it let's me continue, so I just let it run for a few mintues then when I comeback it always shows an overflow error. It ussually happens anywhere between five and ten minutes.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Overflow
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:40:47 PM »
Alot of the problem stems from the fact that 10 minutes in the program is something like 4 hours in VB.  But I'll see if I can start it up and let it run overnight to catch the problem.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Overflow
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 01:24:08 AM »
I've used veggies storing rnd values in rnd locations and managed to catch a bunch of them.

Kind of funny actually, since the program is essentially de-bugging itself.