Author Topic: Known Problems with DB v 2.43  (Read 3676 times)

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Known Problems with DB v 2.43
« on: July 03, 2007, 10:00:22 AM »
Tie problems; there is something wrong with tie feeding in general at the moment.

.mytie and .refties; don't seem to be returning anything but zero.

Tie hardening; .fixang doesn't seem to be responding properly and ties don't seem to be hardening correctly.

There are also occassional overflow and divide-by-zero crashes that were thought to be eliminated but aren't.

To quote Numsgill -

2.5 is something like 95% done. It's just missing bot debugging tools and multibot physics. But I abandoned it when it became clear that it wasn't going to be easily maintainable. At the moment I'm researching physics so I can be in a position to implement the more complex physical reactions correctly. Also, 2.43 has quite a few features added to it that the C++ source doesn't. On the other hand, the physics are much nicer in the C++ code.

When I start again it'll probably be from scratch using C#. I'll probably start with the physics and work the rest of the program into that. I should be in a position to start sometime in the next few months.
DB is sort of in stasis at the moment, with no serious development going on. I might go into the VB code and fix some bugs if there are enough of them and they're annoying enough. But it's been a long time since I looked at the code. Eric also might come back at some point and work a little on it. Or a new coder might pick up the reins at some point.

If you want to start tinkering around in the VB source, you'll find it very easy. I actually learned VB working on this project.

/quote
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 10:10:59 AM by Jez »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 02:31:32 PM »
Robot data display shows slime when you make shell and vice versa.

-Thanks to Abyaly for correction and to whomever spotted bug first
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 05:58:48 PM by Jez »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 05:54:33 PM »
*.refpoison shows amount of poison in bot you see not the amount of poison commands it has.

Bots with DNA execution disabled have 0,0 for xpos,ypos, which results in refxpos, refypos being 0,0 when looking at them.

Lines that start '# (instead of just ' for commentary) cause an 'Invalid procedure call or argument' (quote Numsgill - # are for hashes. When you save the DNA of a bot a certain way, it'll save information about the bot (number of generations, etc.) as a hash. /quote)

Number of rounds in a contest is increased automatically when running under F1 conditions but without league if a pair of bots fight for longer than the rounds set. This increase applies to all following matches until reset manually.

- Mydn, mysx, refdn, and refsx all return 0 all the time, making them useless for determining if a bot is friendly. Also, refvelsx always reads 0 too, but refveldx works properly (so we don't really NEED refvelsx, since veldx is always equal to -velsx). (refveldn and refvelup both work though) Notably, velsx (getting my own sx velocity) works fine.

Of course, refdn and refsx may not actually be broken - they're just reading from broken mydx and mysx on the target bot.

Also (not really bug but); the def array (where you set def variable's) in bot programme is probably limited to 50 def's

Calling store with an address of 0 results in the value (not the address) remaining on the stack.
(I.e. - 99 0 store - leaves 99 as the top stack value)

The virus shot flies off in a random direction, and completely ignores aim commands.

There are a couple of 'instakill' methods, not really in the spirit of the game but it has been a long tradition to allow such things until they are fixed - I'll let you find out how to do them by reading the forum!

-bugs spotted by Trafalgar
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 02:35:41 PM by Jez »
Douglas Adams

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 06:13:58 PM »
League problems;

Physics & costs - Make sure 'big blue screen is set to 'metal' - it's not set as default.

Physics & costs - Make sure 'costs' are set to F1 default - it's not set as default.
Douglas Adams