Author Topic: Zero Bot  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Martian

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Zero Bot
« on: May 03, 2007, 08:28:12 AM »
Hi! I'm rather new to darwinbots.

Can someone please tell me how to evolve a zerobot. What settings, how many bots, what veggies, physics and suchlike.

I have tried a few times but got nowhere.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Zero Bot
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 10:48:55 PM »
The trick is to start with an environment that is as forgiving as possible.  Then, when you have a bot that you think a good stock can come from (such as a shooter, or a reproducer, etc.) you isolate it and turn up the heat, so to speak, by introducing some (very slight) costs.

Then just keep cranking up the costs and your bots will hopefully adapt.  Still, don't expect too much.  A bot that can feed, move, and reproduce is about as cutting edge as anyone's managed to get.  Nothing yet that can even begin to compete with bots in the leagues, for instance.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Zero Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:59:22 AM »
There's no single setting for evolving a zerobot that'll work. I'll try to describe at least some of what I've seen work and what I've heard from others working.

Numbers of bots:
To start I'd recommend a large number of bots between 60 and 100. This helps speed things up somewhat since you'll have more bots randomly mutating, increasing the chance at least one bot will hit upon the ability to reproduce.

Veggies:
Personally I use feeder veggies that both feed and initially force reproduction upon the zerobots.
Some other methods include the zerobots themselves starting as veggies, feeder veggies with manual reproduction, and simply waiting until point mutations cause spontaneous reproduction.

Physics:
This is where it gets tricky. There's an endless variety of settings that'll support the evolution of a self reproducer. I'll normally start with a high gravity, high brownian motion, high global mutation rate, non-torroidal enviroment. Basically this clumps the bots together with their feeder veggies at the bottom, while the brownian motion ensures the bots are distributed randomly for feeding. The bots being tightly grouped together provides an additional bennefit since the effects of their random mutations can spill over onto the other bots via shots or ties.  The high initial mutation rates ensure that tons of random dna is generated each reproduction event, some of this is bound to produce bots that can reproduce by themselves.

Then you proceed to make their enviroment more challenging as they evolve to meet the basic challenges. Once the bots achieve basic self reproduction I'll restart with those bots, swapping out the Feeder/Repro'er veggie with a strict Feeder veggie and decreasing the mutation rates. This'll wean them off any dependency on the plants for reproduction and the mutation rate reduction will stabalize their evolution. Next I wait until they learn to feed by themselves with semi-random nrg sharing or shots. Then I'll swap the veggies out again with a regular veggie so that the bots truly have to fend for themselves. When the bots evolve the ability to deliberatly move, I change Brownian motion to zero, so the ability is encouraged.

Each time the bots meet their current challenges, they find even harder challenges ahead.  

Edit:
Added to Zerobot Wiki article.
Zerobots
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 02:29:50 AM by Endy »

Offline Martian

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Zero Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 01:43:11 PM »
Thanks for all the info!   I have just a few more questions:
How many of the feed and repro bots should I have?
How do you change browian motion?
How slight should the costs be?
How will I know when they started reproducing? Should I use a script command?
How high should mutation rates be and when should I lower them?
Thanks for putting up with me and my questions.
Martian

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Zero Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 02:08:55 AM »
How many of the feed and repro bots should I have?

Probably, around 40 to get a good start. The method my veggies get fed is a bit different than the standard so it's hard to say accurately.

How do you change browian motion?

Should be under the physics tab.

How slight should the costs be?

Never really mess with them myself. I know that most of the others like using zero costs at the start, then  slowly raising them up.

How will I know when they started reproducing? Should I use a script command?

Normally, I just watch for deliberate reproduction. With plants causing them initially to reproduce, you'll know it when they reproduce when there are no plants around.

How high should mutation rates be and when should I lower them?

I just max it out at the highest level initially. Once they start reproducing by themselves you can lower it back down.

Offline Martian

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Zero Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 11:38:06 AM »
Thanks for all your help!
I'm ready to evolve a zero bot now.