Author Topic: Help to set up a vegetable sim  (Read 3763 times)

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Help to set up a vegetable sim
« on: February 19, 2007, 04:20:14 PM »
Basically I would like to run a pond with vegetables only and age limit.

What I would like to do is that tied veggies collect waste at the bottom of the sim and send it to the sunny top to convert it into energy. Coding isn't the problem, but I don't even know how the waste conversion works (if it's related to light level), and how to set a waste rich floor. With corpses? A waste levels option would be nice, too.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 06:03:45 PM »
Waste conversion is automatic for veggies... they receive 1/2 of their total waste back in energy per cycle.

They can also sharefeed and tiefeed waste from bots, if you don't want to use corpses.

99 .sharewaste store

or

*.tiepres .tienum store
-4 .tieloc store
-1000 .tieval store

Possibly by using pond mode they can be forced to strictly waste feed in lower parts of the sim. Bots could feed on plants in the upper region and fall to the lower region as corpses, supplying the lower plants with energy.

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 04:32:57 PM »
Huh...

On a different (but not too much) topic, we often set up evosims with mutation-disabled vegetables and evolving heterotrophs. I think it could be a fun challenge to find a way to put some fierce hand coded heterotrophs with mutations locked and run an evo to see if vegetables learn to fight back.

It would need a way to keep alive at least some of the evolved veggies.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:01:19 PM »
With evolving veggies, I've seen the following behavior form:

1.  Veggies become cancerous.  This means that it's almost impossible for even the most adept hunter to kill all the veggies at once, so there's always a strain of evolved veggies floating around.

2.  Veggies learn to "dunk walk", where they just sort of wiggle around randomly.  This throws off all but the most advanced tracking genes.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 01:36:41 AM »
They also tend to mimic the attacker, at least if the bot is using the ref's to id bots; and they tend to store high levels of shell/slime aswell.

I've yet to find a heterotroph that can withstand their sheer ability to mutate over a long period.

Offline scood

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 07:01:07 PM »
they also move when there reproducing, and the sim that im running right now evolved vegies that have a peculiar way of reproducing,

oh and I think there should be an option were only sexual reproduction is possible,

he he computer sex he he he:)