Author Topic: Sim-wide counter-clockwise movement  (Read 5255 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Sim-wide counter-clockwise movement
« on: November 06, 2006, 11:44:14 AM »
Variation on a theme.  Sims in which bots evlove to constantly shoot tend to evolve macro orientations where all the bots line up in the same direction as it is deadly to orient one's self differently from the rest of the bots in the sim as you end up taking a lot more shots then you would otherwise.  This sim I think exhibits the same phenonomem, but in an interesting way:  the bots are all circling in a counter-clockwise direction, utilizing the height and width of the entire sim.  They seem too far apart to be schooling - exhibiting following behaviour - and you do see the occasional guy swimming against the stream, but the macro phenonomem has been stable for over 1M cycles.
Many beers....

Offline Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 12:07:55 PM »
Cool  That is some nice behavior!

Edit : Shapes make it even more interesting  It's possible to create multiple streams of bots by carefully placing shapes. At first things get messy but they adapt pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 02:58:37 AM by Henk »
cond
*.DBbugs 0 =
start
.rejoice inc
stop

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 06:31:30 PM »
That's pretty neat.

Offline Sprotiel

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 07:12:36 PM »
Well, it looks like it's really the same phenomenon as bots lining up in the same direction: each bot moves along wide identical circles and mutants are eliminated. The global counterclockwise motion is an optical illusion, the circles' diameter is only about half the sim's height.

BTW, there's one thing I don't understand in the sim's settings: it's always night but I can't figure what causes this.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 08:20:11 PM »
Quote from: Sprotiel
BTW, there's one thing I don't understand in the sim's settings: it's always night but I can't figure what causes this.
It's a display bug with the day/night button that happens if you disable day/night cycles at nighttime.  Fixed in 2.42.9.
Many beers....

Offline Sprotiel

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 07:10:27 PM »
Quote from: EricL
It's a display bug with the day/night button that happens if you disable day/night cycles at nighttime.  Fixed in 2.42.9.
Ah! But it's not only a display bug, because vegs aren't getting any energy.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 04:39:29 PM »
Quote from: Sprotiel
Ah! But it's not only a display bug, because vegs aren't getting any energy.
Your right of course.  Still fixed in 2.42.9.

BTW, here's the same sim at 20M cycles.  The illusion of swaming is completely gone.  

What's the record on most cycles in a mutation sim?  Nothing too interesting to point out, but I do take some pride in how stable things are these days.

Note that this did not start out as a fast running zero-bot sim but rather used R_Fisannis as the starting organism.  Bots now have almost 500 mutations after nearly 4000 generations.

Note also that it is part of a larger, multi-machine connected sim, so delete the teleporters if you want to run it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 04:41:17 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 10:58:54 PM »
To my knowledge you're approaching the ceiling of how many cycles have ever been run.  The only one who potentially has run a longer sim is shvarz.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 11:20:24 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
To my knowledge you're approaching the ceiling of how many cycles have ever been run.  The only one who potentially has run a longer sim is shvarz.
Cool.  I know there are still integer-based limits in the system.  One I think is number of mutations.  I expect things to crash when a bot get its 2^15th mutation in it's acestral line, but of course that is a ways away.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 10:55:44 AM »
Actually, I've been running a longer sim than that, thanks to 2.42.8b which was the most stable version ever released, or maybe it was the version before that. These bots happend to evolve into nice green algea, then they all died out and I had to start a new sim with the best of these. Here's a screenshot.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 07:32:26 PM »
Same sim, new stuff.  Notice how evenly spaced the veggies are.  They've mutated to shoot leathal nrg request shots and selection has thus favored the evolution of acceleration away from other bots, kind of a natural built-in repel force.  This combined with their spin results in a surprisingly even spacing pattern and also the ability for the veggies to flee from the bots in the sim.  Moive a few together and watch them seperate.  Amazing how simple adapations result in such interesting macro behaviour.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:59:09 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 11:41:09 AM »
Same sim, lots of decaying corpses.  Just thought people might want to see a screen shot of a sim with over 200,000 shots.
Many beers....