Author Topic: Guys, you have to see this!  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Guys, you have to see this!
« on: March 21, 2007, 03:03:30 PM »
It's not a hunter or anything. It's something completely different. Just load this sim and run it for at least 100000 cycles at maximum speed. Things should start happen already after about 32000 cycles, but you need to look at it for awhile to see what's soo cool about it. I've ran it 3 times now to make sure it was no random behavior.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:07:48 AM »
checking it out...
cond
*.DBbugs 0 =
start
.rejoice inc
stop

Offline JossiRossi

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 09:56:38 AM »
Giving it a shot

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 12:16:08 PM »
Maybe someone could try and decipher the dna to see what is triggering the behavior. They might die the first few times you start it but it only takes one to survive to get a population. I did an experiment tonight by starting a sim with drifting shapes and some more of my evobot species but it totally disrupted this behavior. Let me know if you see anything interesting.

Oh, and I disabled the mutations to make sure there is no mutation that affects it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:25:00 PM by Testlund »

Offline viplex

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 09:04:19 PM »
Its laying eggs!

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 01:25:05 PM »
Are you guys using the 2.43 version?  All bots immediately die when I load the sim.  I tried it four times and the result is always the same.

Upd: Never mind, I got it.  I was expecting to see two kinds of bots there, but there is only one.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:48:23 PM by shvarz »
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 03:34:18 PM »
Ok, let me explain what I've seen in case you might have missed some of it or for some reason the sim decides not to behave the same on your computers.

SPOILER:  

When you load the sim you should see this:

The bots start to swim down the screen a little and then stops. Then they just sit there and grow. (day/night cycles are set to 25000). After about 32000 cycles they (or the one that might be left) starts to reproduce. The child that is born waits a while, then it swims down under the parent slightly to the right. The next child that is born places itself under the first child, and so on, until they line up. After awhile when the line of bots has grown a little something interesting happen. The bots that are born are not just placing themselves at the end of the line. They now slowly search down the line to find a gap to fill. You might see a bot that stops to inspect a gap for a few cycles, but then decide to continue to search down the line to find another gap. When it finds a place it likes it will stay there. The bots mostly reproduce at night, but a few times at day. When the bots in the line has grown larger, the new bots that are born tend to place themselves close to the bigger ones to start and form a new line. Sometimes they try to push themselves in between the bigger bots to create a new colony with smaller bots. Also you might see what appears to be synchronized virus reproduction. A bunch of bots close to each other might send out viruses at exactly the same time.
I've tried to run this bot species under different conditions, drifting shapes, other bots in the sim at the same time, or a larger amount of bots in the start, but then this behavior gets disrupted and they just floot around reproducing randomly.
So maybe if someone could dig through the dna to see what is triggering it's behavior, but there are a lot of dna in there so it might be hard. In any case this behavior seems to be dependent of a bunch of factors.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:36:44 PM by Testlund »

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 03:27:10 PM »
Yah there are sometimes behaviours that happen only on certain situational conditions, but fail catastrophically or become apparent chaos elsewere.

I once saw a bot making a spiral spider web of mini fixed bots. I couldn't reproduce at all that cool behaviour, which is quite frustrating. The spider bot was "reading" the somewhat irregular shape of the spiral and kept laying bots at the right distance.

Edit: Wait... I still got the sim saved. And it works on 2.43. I'll open a new topic.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 03:30:53 PM by MacadamiaNuts »
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...