Author Topic: Introducing the God of Lemurs!!  (Read 5037 times)

Offline thelemurgod

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Introducing the God of Lemurs!!
« on: March 27, 2005, 10:19:50 PM »
G'day.

I happened upon Darwinbots while searching out info on multi-agent complex system simulations.  I just started messing around with it, but am having quite a good time.  I have yet to create a viable bot, and have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

I used to have ant farms as a kid, and would sit and watch for hours.  When computers came my way, I go into simulations.  At some point in my life I have owned just about every SIM game there has ever been.  I still play SIMAnt and SIMLife on occasion.

You all deserve cookies.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 10:24:11 PM »
If you'd like help making a viable bot, check PY's tutorials on the FTP.  It's called Darwintutorial1+2.  That's how I figured it out when I got started 2-3 months ago.  It's very complete.

Welcome aboard!  BTW, what, may I ask, is a "multi-agent complex system simulations" and how did you get to DB from that?

Talk about out of left field. :lol:

Good to see another SIM fan.  I still play SimEarth on my computer from time to time.  If I could combine DB and SimEarth, I would officially be in Heaven.

Offline thelemurgod

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 10:46:27 PM »
If you'd like help making a viable bot, check PY's tutorials

Ooooh, thank you.  I shall.  I have some pretty big bot-building aspirations.  But goal #1 is to get one to actually live.  (So far I've just been messing around with existing bots).

what, may I ask, is a "multi-agent complex system simulations"

Well, a complex system is a mathmatical term for a system that invovlves a number of elements arranged in such a way that on any scale observed, their is similiar arrangement.  It  includes ideas from choas theory and some of the more common applications are in the study of evolution and neural networking.  An agent, is any entity involved in the system, that is itself, a complex system.  And I've been doing research into finding groovy software to create simulations for various complex systems, so that said systems can be analyzed.

While meandering through some science software listing (On google directories, I think), I saw a link to DarwinBots and I screamed, "JOY!"

And here I am! :D

If I could combine DB and SimEarth, I would officially be in Heaven.

DARE I DREAM!!  :lol:

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 10:52:54 PM »
Ooooh, thank you.  I shall.  I have some pretty big bot-building aspirations.  But goal #1 is to get one to actually live.  (So far I've just been messing around with existing bots).

If you'd like a good and simple bot to start messing with, I'd recommend my own creation Animal Minamilist.  This tiny tiny bot manages to not only survive but do so quite well.

Well, a complex system is a mathmatical term for a system that invovlves a number of elements arranged in such a way that on any scale observed, their is similiar arrangement.

Kind of a fractal thing then, right?  What are you involved in?  I'm a senior math major at school, so I sort of know where you're coming from.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 11:04:03 PM »
Welcome thelemurgod!

Hmm, what would be you nickname?  Thelem?  Lemur?
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 11:09:58 PM »
Welcome! :)

I think I can just barely wrap my mind around that.

The complex system would be DB and the "agents" would be the bots in the system. I'm guessing the rest is about the fractal nature of the universe(s) and how living organisms increase chaos around them to increase order within  themselves.

Endy :blink:

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 03:07:52 AM »
welcome
ive played simearth, got boring after a wiöe for me
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 07:52:45 AM »
Welcome aboard dude! (I love the way you speak english... it's quite different from the farmer's english some people here speak  :lol: )

Offline thelemurgod

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 03:17:13 PM »
Kind of a fractal thing then, right?  What are you involved in?  I'm a senior math major at school, so I sort of know where you're coming from.

Yessir, fractals are freaky-cool.

I'm actually a Biologist by edumacation.  It is only fairly recently that I have gotten into Complex Systems.  Up to now, I have always avoided math like I avoid amoebic dysentery.

Welcome thelemurgod!

Hmm, what would be you nickname?  Thelem?  Lemur?
People often call me "LG". :)

I think I can just barely wrap my mind around that.

The complex system would be DB and the "agents" would be the bots in the system. I'm guessing the rest is about the fractal nature of the universe(s) and how living organisms increase chaos around them to increase order within  themselves.

Something like that. Complexity theory is a robust subject and something I am fairly new to myself (at least in terms of specific concepts).

welcome
ive played simearth, got boring after a wiöe for me

The SIM games are not everyone's cup of tea.  I remembe rhte first time I rented SIMEarth for SNES...  I played that for hours and hours... everyone around me thought I was insane when my first trichordate sprang to life. :)

Welcome aboard dude! (I love the way you speak english... it's quite different from the farmer's english some people here speak  )

Why thanky-you.