Author Topic: CostX changed to -1 RESOLVED (BY DESIGN)  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Testlund

  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1574
    • View Profile
    • Games And Electronica
CostX changed to -1 RESOLVED (BY DESIGN)
« on: December 04, 2007, 03:10:35 AM »
Flypaper just turned cancerous, changed CostX settings to -1 and froze my sim!  
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:23:58 AM by EricL »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

  • Administrator
  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2266
    • View Profile
CostX changed to -1 RESOLVED (BY DESIGN)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 11:23:20 AM »
I'm afraid this is Dy Design.

By request, 2.43u allows the cost multiplier to go negative.  This is by design.  I will probably add a checkbox to allow the user to prevent this and prevent it from going below 0 like before if they like, but going negative is what it is suppose to do currently.

You sim's not frozen, it's just running really really slow and because VB6 is single threaded, the UI won't respond for tens of seconds or more.  The popualation looks like it's only 500, but there are actually several thousands corpses all in a tight pile with the bots.  Tight clusters of bots are really slow because of the way vision works.  Calculating who can see what, etc.  

I'm running your sim now and it is slowly correcting.  CostX is climbing, corpses are expiring, the blob is expanding and the sim is running faster....

I'll add the checkbox in 2.43v.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

  • Administrator
  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7725
    • View Profile
CostX changed to -1 RESOLVED (BY DESIGN)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 02:58:51 PM »
Maybe costX should be human settable to negative numbers, but the automatic corrections clamp to stay positive.

Offline Testlund

  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1574
    • View Profile
    • Games And Electronica
CostX changed to -1 RESOLVED (BY DESIGN)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 05:09:30 PM »
Well, since this occured I can't use DB at the moment. First it takes several minutes to start DB. Then once it starts running and I enter IM I got some message in the graphs about connection aborted. Then the graphs started to pop under the sim. Couldn't bring them back in front. Then I closed them and it closed DB too. After that I can't start the program. I got several error messages.

1. An error occured. Darwinbots cannot continue. Sorry. Invalid procedure call or argument Darwinbots 5 0.

Clicking the OK button. Nothing Happens. Clicking the X to close the program.

2. Unable to save settings. An error occured.

Clicking the OK button.

3. Run-time error '55': File already open

Maybe if I delete the lastexit files and start a new sim it might work, I don't know and I'm too tired to mess with this tonight. Hope you can reproduce it with this sim. Also it would be nice if DB doesn't stay left in the background after I've quit it through the menu. Only clicking the X in the upper right corner makes it dissapear from memory. It's easy to forget about this and end up with sevaral instances clogging up the RAM.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

  • Administrator
  • Bot God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2266
    • View Profile
CostX changed to -1 RESOLVED (BY DESIGN)
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 12:23:22 PM »
2.43v adds a checkbox ont eh costs dialog to prevent costX from going negative.
Many beers....