Author Topic: veggy help  (Read 3816 times)

Offline viplex

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
veggy help
« on: March 14, 2007, 01:46:49 PM »
I'm trying to set up a veggy-veggeater coevolution. I set my max veg population to 250. But the population is actually always above that number, and when reaches it from above, ALL the vegs reproduce because of a bad mutation by which the repro condition got erased (if energy>6000...). What can I do?
Thanks in advance

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
veggy help
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 07:00:01 AM »
Set the max veg to half of what you really want your max veg to be

You see, what happens is that when the number of veggies reaches the max threshhold, they aren't allowed to reproduce any more.  If all the vegs on the screen are trying to reproduce, once the number of vegs is low enough, they are all allowed to reproduce in the same cycle, which effectively means that your real population levels end up double the "max".

As to your veggies, that's a very common mutation.  First one that I usually see in any sort of veggy sim.  If you don't like cancerous veggies, change the nrg feeding method to either per kilobody or the quadratic one.

Offline Zinc Avenger

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
veggy help
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:11:51 AM »
Perhaps a better name for this feature would be something like "Autotroph reproduction disabled when population rises above:", its a very common misunderstanding.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
veggy help
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:45:12 AM »
Quote from: Zinc Avenger
Perhaps a better name for this feature would be something like "Autotroph reproduction disabled when population rises above:", its a very common misunderstanding.

I'm not sure that would fit on the label

Offline Zinc Avenger

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
veggy help
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:28:49 AM »
Nah, make it a 3pt font and it'll fit on just fine!

Offline viplex

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
veggy help
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 06:01:16 PM »
stupid cancer      

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
veggy help
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:30:18 AM »
Actually from the veggie's point of view it's a very benneficial mutation, and pretty much required for further evolution. If they get repopulated it is from the initial veggie dna, essentially erasing all of the evolving veggie's hard work. Assuming your feeder bot is good enough to keep up they'll constantly evolve to each other.

Maybe something like: Veggie Species Limit
would be better.