Author Topic: physics  (Read 3589 times)

Offline viplex

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
physics
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:18:57 AM »
Hi
It occured to me while thinking about inceasing enviromental diversity: what do you think about splitting the screen in terms of physical properties, like gravity? For example, the upper half of screen would be earth gravity, the lower no gravity, like a pond and its surface. Viscosity, light and such things could also be adjusted this way. I think that would force lineages to diverge, while allowing some slow transfer.
However, I would be suprised hadnt this been already suggested or considered.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
physics
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 10:03:42 AM »
It's been thought of, just never implemented.  It was part of a larger concept labeled "the environment grid", and has gone through a great deal of refinement.

Mostly, the challenge has been with the concept of substances.  The different areas using different physics wouldn't be too hard to do.

Offline Carlo

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
physics
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »
Quote from: viplex
Hi
It occured to me while thinking about inceasing enviromental diversity: what do you think about splitting the screen in terms of physical properties, like gravity? For example, the upper half of screen would be earth gravity, the lower no gravity, like a pond and its surface. Viscosity, light and such things could also be adjusted this way. I think that would force lineages to diverge, while allowing some slow transfer.
However, I would be suprised hadnt this been already suggested or considered.

It's exactly the original environment grid idea, that is, to divide the field into small cells each one with its own values for physical constants (things like friction, gravity, etc.., but also costs). I think it would be, in itself, a great step towards evolution of diversity.

Offline viplex

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
physics
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
Quote from: Carlo
It's exactly the original environment grid idea, that is, to divide the field into small cells each one with its own values for physical constants (things like friction, gravity, etc.., but also costs). I think it would be, in itself, a great step towards evolution of diversity.

Ah.. I thought enviroment grid was interconnecting screens via internet or somthing like that.

Offline Zinc Avenger

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
physics
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 07:44:07 AM »
I am running a similar idea at the moment, I use teleporters to link together different sims with different environment settings. The real trick is to size the outbound teleporters right so the bots spend enough time in each environment but actually have a chance to migrate.

Offline viplex

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
physics
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 06:06:29 PM »
Quote from: Zinc Avenger
I am running a similar idea at the moment, I use teleporters to link together different sims with different environment settings. The real trick is to size the outbound teleporters right so the bots spend enough time in each environment but actually have a chance to migrate.

You mean you are running parallel sims on one PC? How do you do that?  

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
physics
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:33:35 PM »
Two instances of Darwinbots, each uploading and downloading to the same folder.