Author Topic: Simple Resources  (Read 2573 times)

Offline JossiRossi

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Simple Resources
« on: March 23, 2007, 08:11:03 PM »
I'm fairly certain that this would have to affect a lot of other things than I would think, so I know it might not be too feasible.

I started a new sim where I have vertical gravity. The veggies spawn at the top of the box and fall down into the group of animal bots below. My thinking was that it's kinda like rain, but I know it's not similar enough but I thought it'd be interesting to try out.

The main reason I wanted to try this (although I didn't set it up right so I decided to not worry) was to have the veggies rain down onto the animals which are mostly if not all stationary, to see if they would grow upward and compete for area coverage.

We'll see what happens, but it did get me thinking. That instead of just giving the veggies (or photsynthetic bots) energy for free, that maybe a ray system could be set up so that for every ray of light you get like 1 NRG per cycle or something. So it's not given to them by default. And maybe in order for a bot to grow in size it's body mass could increase from another resource like dirt, and then have water be there to lubricate the natural systems, it can go towards certain costs of activity.

Not the best thought out or fleshed upon idea but I think you guys would get the idea. Maybe not a good idea for now but maybe farther down the development line this might be cool to take into account.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simple Resources
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »
I had some similar thoughts.  A ray casting system would work very well for things like a pond mode.  It would also help create a race condition to reach the top so you don't get blocked out of light.

The only potential issue is that ray casting is computationally expensive.  Because you'd need to test rays against bots, it has an order of complexity similar to shots.  The program needs to be optimized in other areas first, basically, before any ray casting can become feasible.