Code center > Specialization, Metabolism, Digestions and Env Grid

PY's version of metabolism

(1/4) > >>

shvarz:
I figured I'd post this separately for people to discuss:

here is one way to do it.

Infinite (almost anyway) kinds of enzymes defined in hexidecimal bit patterns and stored in a pattern at the end of the DNA. User programmable and mutates.

At the start of the sim or when a robot is born, the list of enzymes contained in the pattern is scanned into the robots enzyme array and all present enzymes are turned on for that robot.

The robot shoots normally.

It diverges into two different possible systems at this point.

Method 1

1. Enzymes in stomach
   2. Undigested food comes back in the returned -2 shot.
   3. If the necessary enzymes are present the food is digested automatically else they are added to the waste of the robot and need to be pooped.

Method 2

1. Enzymes in shots.
   2. All enzymes possible for this robot are present in the shot that it fires.
   3. Target bot is partially digested by the shot provided that the correct enzymes are present in it, and according to their efficiency rate.
   4. Returned -2 shot contains energy just like it does now.
   5. Energy goe into a storage stomach where it is slowly absorbed by the robot. Excess energy is lost to the e-grid as waste or heat or anything we like.

No direct DNA control at all. Everything behind the scenes and fully automated yet also able to evolve with successive generations.

shvarz:
I personally don't like this idea for its flatness.  Everything is directly linked to energy.  it will be

protein<->nrg
carb<->nrg
shell<->nrg

and so on.

The whole evolution will be limited to finding enzymes with the best efficiency and then choosing among them (Nums will do the hashing algorith, so he can avoid the hassle all together and simpl design the best possible enzymes :)  )  Then where do you go from there?  You add another

stuff<->nrg

possibility, and another and another.  You can never have multi-step reactions.  Or if you do, you mess up all existing bots.

In my opinion it is better to mess up all exisitng bots now, if that means that we'll get open-ended system that allows unlimited complexity and variation in metabolisms.

PurpleYouko:
It doesn't have to be energy!

It can come back as generic food to be digested and converted into protein. It doesn't matter what we call it. The stuff can still be processed with the make break system.

Existing bots will just have direct access to the most inefficient methods that don't require making or breaking preoteins.

ie. they will still survive OK without modification but newer and better designed/mutated bots will have the advantage.

:D  PY  :D

Zelos:
I think method 1 is the best shvarz. most animals I see eat and then digest, yeah yeah I know there are those who throw up the stomach acid and digest the food and then eat it. but still think the method 1 is best. and I agree it shall be a unlimited amount of choices and complexity, it makes things funnies :D

shvarz:
Thanks for input zelos.  I also think that bots should get lots of different stuff in thier stomach and discard whatever they can't digest.

The major point of our argument is how much of metabolism must/can be controlled from DNA.  What are you thoughts on that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version