Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Marax

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hello!
« on: March 12, 2007, 11:42:06 AM »
Hi, I'm new to darwinbots!  

Now that the pleasantries are taken care of I have some questions.

1. I have two computers, on my laptop db works fine, but on my stationary computer the memory of the bots g crazy after about 500 cycles. Is this a common bug, and is there a workaround to this?

2. I made a bot that I find is very cool, but I want it to tie like a worm, two ties per bot (exept the ones at the end) and only tie to their own race, any suggstions on how to do that?

3. Is there a sysvar to instantly kill a bot? A virus I made used cancerous reproduction and .vshoot to eliminate cells, but my laptop cant handle too many bots at a given time

Edit:

4. Is there a way to force mutationrates on a bot with a virus? (Fallout anyone? )

5. Mutated bots change color! I want my virus to change colors too!

6. And I dont understand the * in front of sysvars.... I feel stupid....

/Edit

Cheers!
    ~Marax
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 04:26:36 PM by Marax »
I laugh in the face of danger!
 Then I hide untill it goes away...

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Hello!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 06:03:06 PM »
Hiya Marax! Its great to see you here on the forum.  

I'll have a go at answering some of your questions.

2. Light is our 'official' multi-bot master,   I'm sure he, or another MB writer will be able to give a much better answer than me pointing to some examples of how to do this, in the meantime though do you fancy posting your bot in the bot tavern? Quite often it's not as easy as just adding a few genes to a bot because you have to balance the affect with all the other genes. It's much easier if you can see the dna you are changing!

3. You can't use a sysvar to kill a robot in that sense because it's ingame and sysvars are part of the bot program (excusing the use of the console). Instead Lclick on one of the problem bots in the sim, Rclick on it to open a menu; you can choose kill robot (Ctrl-K) or kill entire organism (Ctrl-E). I did think that Ctrl-E would kill the species but it seems it does the same as Ctrl-K!  
Another way to reduce the amount of bots on your screen would be to adjust the amount of energy you put into the sim via the veg. I don't know that that would help with a cancerous virus though.

4. You have a minimum mutation rate forced on your virus by it's length - the time it takes to reproduce or the commands it uses (delgene would work every turn for instance). You could set a max rate by using a timer though.

5. I think virii colour is defaulted sry.

6. Ooh, ooh, I definitley know the answer to this one!
* returns the value of a memory location;
I.E. using memloc 999,
 10 999 store would set it (the memorylocation) to 10
*999 would return the value of 10
so *999 10 < would check if the value of memloc 999 was less then 10

Hope I've been at little helpful at least, I'm sure others will chime in to fill the gaps!

Look forward to seeing your bot, even if it is just a prototype atm.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Hello!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:59:21 AM »
#1 sounds like mutation rates or waste.  When you say the memory of the bots go crazy, could you be more specific?  Is it the DNA, the actual memory, or something else?  I haven't heard of any issues that would make the program behave wonky on one computer and not another.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Hello!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 01:33:03 AM »
hi Marax I can at least answer a couple of your questions.

You could affects a bot's mutation rates by doing something akin to the below,

Code: [Select]
cond
*.nrg 3000 >
start
50 .mrepro store
*.thisgene .mkvirus store
100 .vshoot store
stop

This'll make a bot mutate 10% more than normal each time it has 3000 energy, while simultaneously starting work on a new virus, and firing the currently stored virus.

Worm thingie:
Code: [Select]
'delete excess ties
cond
*.numties 2 >
*.tiepres 0 !=
start
*.tiepres .deltie store
stop

'tie to own family if has less than 2 ties
cond
*.refeye *.myeye =
*.myeye 0 !=
*.numties 2 <
start
.tie inc
stop

This added to a standard bot's dna, should make the worm like bot you're looking for. Might be kinda weird since it could accidentally split apart and rejoin again. You might want to take a look at Multi-bots and Sharing over on the wiki for more info on making "multi-celluar" bots.

Offline Marax

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hello!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 06:38:53 AM »
Numsgil:
The DNA is unaffected, no mutations have occured, its in the memory itself...

Nevermind  I copied the db folder from my laptop to the stationary and it seems to run smoothly now
Edit: It was probaly the waste thingie.

Endy:
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:37:27 AM by Marax »
I laugh in the face of danger!
 Then I hide untill it goes away...