Author Topic: A couple of evo stories  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
A couple of evo stories
« on: February 24, 2007, 11:59:44 PM »
Just a couple of reports I have seen recently on the internet;

Chimps hunting with spears

Robot swarms 'evolve' effective communication
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
A couple of evo stories
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 06:03:00 AM »
Both interesting.

The robot swarms...  I'm thinking maybe altruistic behavior is easier to evolve when:

1.  Food sources are effectively infinite, so you don't get less food if another bot gets more food.

2.  Your reproduction is handled by another, independant agent.

Especially #2 makes me think of ant colonies.  Perhaps ants find it easy to cooperate because they don't have to worry about reproduction.  I dunno, just a thought.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
A couple of evo stories
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:08:57 AM »
There's a higher level of relatedness between colony members for ants also. In the robot swarm description a similar high level of relatedness occured between the co-operating bots.

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
A couple of evo stories
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »
Quote from: Endy
There's a higher level of relatedness between colony members for ants also. In the robot swarm description a similar high level of relatedness occured between the co-operating bots.

An 'us' vs 'them' setup where you have closely related entities in a group, and several groups of entities further away genetically, in inter-group competition, seems to be a good bet for an 'altruism-friendly' environment - if a canni evolves, the tribe is compromised and gets usurped by a non-canni tribe.

So mimicing this in DB would prehaps be several colonies of dependant (on others in the colony) bots with epigenetic conspec recognition (which allows for colony reproduction), competing for limited resources.

A 'simple' and less genetically fragile antbot of some sort might give interesting results when evolved, where there's another meta-level above the level of a bot - in this case a colony.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
A couple of evo stories
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 12:13:32 PM »
Another evo story I ran across;

Robo-salamander

Or; Robot laws
and; Robot rights
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 12:25:57 PM by Jez »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams