Author Topic: Does Evolution Select For Faster Evolvers? Horizontal Gene Transfer Adds To Complexity, Speed Of Evolution  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Sprotiel

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
An interesting essay in Nature on the same topic.

And the original article at the source of the press release : [preprint].

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Oh wow, that first link from nature went straight over my head, not having the prerequisite quals in bio/phys/maths but the second link was cool!

"The available studies strongly indicate that microbes absorb and discard genes as needed, in response to their environment. Rather than discrete genomes, we see a continuum of genomic possibilities, which casts doubt on the validity of the concept of a 'species' when extended into the microbial realm."

To quote only the first bit that jumped out at me; thanks for linking some better reading on the subject.  
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
I wish that more researchers used programs like DB.  

This has been obvious to me for awhile that HGT speeds up evolution dynamically. Even the relativly unstructured/runaway version we have, has led to highly valuable and novel mutations spreading rapidly.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Two points.

First, the neat thing about HGT is that it leverages parallalism.  Namely, HGT only works is there are interesting genes you don't have - genes that evolved somewhere else, in a separate population, in a different evironment or niche, (and here's the important point) genes that evolved at the same time your genes were evolving.  Take the last 4 billion years (plus or minus).  If there was no HGT, then your DNA would be the end product of only four billion years of consecutive evolution.  But with HGT, your DNA can effectively be the end result of tens of billions of years or more of concurrent evolution.  HGT leverages parallelism!

Second, while I concur with the main thrust of the article(s) that HGT speeds up evolutiuon, I can't help but call attention to the implicit multi-cellular bias.  The article implies two things I take excpetion to.  First, that cells evolved over 3.3 billion years ago and then nothing of import occurred until multi-cellularity arrived on the scene.  This is silly.  I would argue that much occurred during that space of time within the context of single celledness - inventions no less amazing and complex than the more recent and visible multi-cellular inventions.  Second, it is not at all clear that evolution as actually sped up since the dawn of multi-cellularity.  Oh sure, there are a whole bunch of multi-cellular forms around that on the surface make it appear that the pace of evolution must have increased.  Afterall, there are feet and wings and bills and brains where before there were none.  But all those multi-cellular forms rely upon single cellular mechanisms of no less complexity.  Any software developer will tell you that writing the code to loop a million times is trivial, perhaps a whole lot simpiler in fact than the code that's actually inside the loop.

My point is that as multi-cellular organisms, we may be biased towards viewing multi-cellular adaptations as somehow more complex than those less visible but no less important mechanisms which predated multicellularity at the single cell level.  The recent so-called increased pace of evolution may simply be an illusion of our multicellular biased perspective.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 11:09:30 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Probably it'd be better to say that the speed of evolution depends on the scale being described. A few days for us could be a millenia for a lower lifeform.

Presumably there's also a linkage between the Threat Rate and Evolutionary speed. Provided that the threat doesn't kill off a whole species or exceed the rate evolution can occur; Evolution speed will increase as threat rate increases. Right now most species are in a sweet spot of geological time so with exceptions like Global Warming and the Industrial Revolution, most species are relativly stable. Bacteria are obviously having a hard time and so are evolving faster relativly speaking.