Author Topic: Strange Darwinbot video on utube.  (Read 3681 times)

Offline kenstauffer

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Strange Darwinbot video on utube.
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:57:32 AM »
The wierd video I speak of is available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckiZP0eanjg

I'm really confused. It looks like Darwinbots. Who/What/Where is this company?

http://www.rodrigosetti.hpw.com.br

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 10:00:01 AM »
That's not DBs, not even close.  You can see that their "multibots" get born already mulicellular and the mutations appear to affect the number and the frequency of movement of their pseudopodia.  That's a much more basic approach than what DBs does.  Looks kind of nifty though
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 12:11:27 AM »
I dunno, it's awfully similar.  The guys atleast had to have seen Darwinbots.  It's just too similar in lots of small ways.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:41:17 AM »
Nah, the only thing similar is that there are balls on sticks.  The rest is quite different.  There is no programming language and while the organisms are structurally open-ended, all the working of bot (like reproduction gene) is internal and pre-defined. Only the parameters can be modified by mutations.

The feeding is extremely simple - the bots just swim next to the food and it gets absorbed.

So, I don't think there is any plagiarism or even connection to DB.

Hey, one thing that is kind of cool about that program is that his multibots do swim and the program runs pretty fast.  Maybe you programming people want to find out how this guy did it?
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 02:55:06 AM »
I'm sure the internals are quite different, but the GUI and graphics are remarkably similar.  I wouldn't call it plagarism by any stretch, but it's got to be at least influenced.  Not that balls on sticks are all that original of course.

Still, it seems to be very similar to Darwinpond and Genepool, so you would think the graphics would follow more closely after that.

The swimming physics look a little simplistic, but I would still be interested in knowing what sort of algorithms are going on.