Author Topic: Panspermia  (Read 5603 times)

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Panspermia
« on: November 14, 2006, 05:42:24 PM »
I nearly didn’t post this, but things seem to have been really quiet here so here is my latest review of a TV program…

Another interesting program by Horizon.

Starting with the southern Indian ‘red rain’ the colour of which was identified as cells and at first was identified as having no dna to the extremophiles being studied by one of NASA’s astrophysicists, brine shrimp living in water three times as salty as the ocean at 80 degrees, an organism living in penguin guano that can multiply down to -5 degrees to the organism found living in nuclear reactors around spent nuclear rods that created holes in the stainless steel surround.

Surveyor 3 sent to the moon 2 ½ years before lunar landing brought back an organism on the inside of the foam inside the camera. Believed to be an earth born organism that had survived over 3 months in space.

The Murchison? Meteorite that landed in Australia, when examined under the electron microscope seems to show the remains of living micro organisms. It’s a highly contentious claim.
Firing bugs, that live in rocks, at 5 km/sec into water with rock behind it, (to simulate a meteorite hitting the ocean) something that would kill most things, confirmed that some bugs can survive, albeit with a low survival rate.

Apparently even some of the micro organisms on the space shuttle Columbia, that blew up on re-entry, survived.

Most scientists now believe that micro organisms can survive many extremities, cold, heat, impact even periods of vacuum and many believe that life almost certainly exists else where in the universe.

Compared to the more standard (non religious) belief that life created itself on this planet, Panspermia is the belief that life originated elsewhere and was brought to the earth from outer space (via a meteorite perhaps.)

Life and its appearance on earth is a wondrous thing; from its religious connotations to the Acarus mites of Andrew Crosse, precursor to Frankenstein. I think it is very unlikely that life arrived in this way, an extremophile of extremophiles arriving on a lump of rock. Then again if it did; Darwinbots continually show that they love to devolve away from the acme of design into often lazy and simplistic forms. Who is to say the first building blocks of life didn’t arrive from elsewhere?

PS, some extremophiles show a great resistance to radiation, does this challenge the way mutations work in DB?
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Panspermia
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 11:06:55 PM »
Panspermia is in my mind one of the fundamentally greatest theories if we could collect strong evidence for it.  It changes the entire time frame for life to evolve.

I remember reading a while ago that a meteorologist had calculated the liklihood of a meteorite from outside the solar system being the germ for life in this solar system.  It was so incredibly unlikely that any material would arrive in our solar system from another one and impact a body that even in the timespan of billions of years he effectively ruled it impossible.

Which means if you're wanting to believe Panspermia as an effective means for the spread of life you either need to limit your view to inter solarsystem transportation (such as from Mars to Earth, or vice versa) or accept sentient life or other artificial means as probable agents for spreading life through the universe.

I'll try to find the article if anyone's interested.

Panspermia is fundamental to my personal philosophical view on the universe and our place in it.  Of course, it borders on faith instead of science since there just isn't more than moderate circumstancial evidence.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Panspermia
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 08:03:40 AM »
I would like a chance to read that article if you get a chance find the link for it Nums.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Panspermia
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 01:58:14 PM »
This is the paper.

I found it when I was looking for resources on craters formed by meteor impacts for use in another project.  The guy is a leading authority on impact craters (He litterally wrote the book on them).

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Panspermia
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 04:48:47 PM »
Rofl, my great (ad nauseum) Grandaddy was a Martian!

It beats the Cosmic Teapot or Pink Unicorn that I ascribed to before, thanks for that.
Douglas Adams

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Panspermia
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 01:24:20 PM »
Hey, this is interesting ...

Just came across a paper on lithopanspermia in star clusters. Due to the closer distances, it's much more likely that life can spread from one system to another. In longer-lived clusters, life originating on one planet could possibly seed itself to a majority of the other systems in the cluster through the process.

Lithopanspermia in Star Forming Clusters
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 04:16:54 PM by Elite »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Panspermia
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 10:56:50 PM »
That is interesting.   It directly follows  up the paper I posted.

It still primarily limits the development and spread of life to very local neighborhood though.

Offline -venom-

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Panspermia
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 08:14:36 PM »
ahhh I have heard of this theory before and are not agenst or with it but for the sake of arguing:

this would have taken place billions of years ago so who is to say that billions of years in the past we were close
enof for this to have taken place and the key word is unlikely so that means it is not totally implauseable
but maby we are one of the very very tiny few (compared to the imenseness of the universe) planets that life could have spread to from another solar system.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 08:15:04 PM by -venom- »
If this were a perfect world, nobody would have let me into it.

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Panspermia
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 08:56:01 PM »
Recently some cientifics found life in a mine that had been buried way down the earth there for millions of years. It was using chemical compounds to extract energy. It's not that hard to imagine an huge meteor sending some deep rocks into space. There's that great crater in Mars, 7km deep... the meteorite impact was so big it actually created Olimpus mons and several other volcanoes at the opposite side of the planet.

Life travelling through the solar system seems plausible (mmh, gotta send a mail to Mythbusters, maybe with lots of dynamite and a big rock they can test it...), but also between stars if you consider the sun isn't static, but orbiting the galaxy each 200 million years or so. Perhaps the space out there is seeded with bazillions of rocks with bacteria and the Earth just catched some in the past.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Panspermia
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 09:39:28 PM »
However, if you look at that article I posted, the chances of ejecta from one solar system arriving at another are so unimaginably small...  The article Elite posted counters with the suggestion that it could be primarily used in stellar nurseries, where there's far more chance of sharing ejecta.

It's an interesting idea, but so obviously wrong.  It is the Unbegotten Source, the Demiurge Ubbo Sathla that spawned the first single celled life on our primordial planet.  And one day all life on Earth will once more return to his lifeless pseudopods.  Of course, that's likely to be after His awkening from his lifeless sleep.