Author Topic: Zip sharing?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Zip sharing?
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:55:35 AM »
I've been using often teleporters to keep a buffer of bots and avoid small sims dieing, stagnating or degenerating, and so I wondered if a bunch of those dbo's could be zipped and shared through e-mail or forum attachments and loaded/saved with teleporters to keep evolving them, specially for zerosims. This way:

- Pick one or several recent attachments, put them in a inbound folder so they load at start.
- Run the evo for 5 million cycles at least.
- Brush it with an outbound teleporter, pick 10 bots, zip them and attach them with details about the settings.

I know about the internet sharing options, but that needs an ftp server and hand conded bots can ruin all the running sims.
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Zip sharing?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 12:29:04 PM »
Quote from: MacadamiaNuts
I've been using often teleporters to keep a buffer of bots and avoid small sims dieing, stagnating or degenerating,

Cool.  I do that too although I use autocosts and the zero cost level a lot to prevent populations from getting to low.  Nice to see someone else using teleporters this way.

Quote from: MacadamiaNuts
and so I wondered if a bunch of those dbo's could be zipped and shared through e-mail or forum attachments and loaded/saved with teleporters to keep evolving them, I know about the internet sharing options, but that needs an ftp server and hand conded bots can ruin all the running sims.
What I'd like to do someday is combine teleporters and the older Internet sharing stuff together and provide a set of pre-defined internet teleporters that would connect sims over the internet (probably still using FTP, but the details of that would be hidden from the user).  There would certainly be a free-for-all multi-sim where anything goes, but also there would be an evobot-only multi-sim where the inbound teleporters would filter bots whose lineage did not have a certain number of mutations as a poor man's way of preventing the accidental or malicious introduction of hand coded bots.  We do the same thing for other multi-sims if we wanted e.g. a single gene multi-sim.

Doesn't stop anyone from doing something simplier as your suggest today.  Realisticly, I won't get to this for a while.
Many beers....

Offline MacadamiaNuts

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Zip sharing?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 10:12:31 PM »
Sounds like Seti@home... something to keep running at background, receiving biopackets, evolving them and sending them away.

A funny comparison, be said. Darwin@home... the search for (artificial) life.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 10:13:26 PM by MacadamiaNuts »
Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose...