Author Topic: Just broke the record for longest running evo sim  (Read 2580 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Just broke the record for longest running evo sim
« on: January 04, 2007, 06:13:17 PM »
No one has ever run a sim for this many cumulative hours.  How do I know?  The total number of seconds a sim has run is stored as the Long valued variable 'sec'.  The number of minutes a sim has run is then calculated by dividing by 60 and assigned to an Integer (!) causing an overflow.  In short, DB crashes when a sim is run this long in all versions pre 2.42.9t.  I've now fixed this and run past this limit with my evosim, so while I assume people may have run for more cycles (mine is a large sim and is currently only at 18M cycles) I assume no one has ever run this many hours on a single sim.  

Fixed in 2.42.9t.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:14:50 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 06:28:10 PM »
You never stop do you, this must be the most in depth bug fix DB has ever had the pleasure of being submitted to!

/me toasts Eric.  

btw, disappearing bots, my current nemesis...

I'll do a compiled rerun of the leagues to see if I hit the same problem again though.  

(Over three weeks running time. Wow!!)  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:29:45 PM by Jez »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 12:35:34 AM »
Quote from: EricL
...so while I assume people may have run for more cycles (mine is a large sim and is currently only at 18M cycles) I assume no one has ever run this many hours on a single sim.  

That is likely true. I didn't count the hours for my longest sim but it reached beyond 23 M cycles. I know because I have a saved screenshot from it, but it was probably running slightly faster than yours. Also I found that the timer isn't exact, especially if the sim runs very slow. So to be sure you need to use your watch. Hehe.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.