Author Topic: Altruism Video  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Altruism Video
« on: December 23, 2006, 08:03:50 AM »
Maybe it's just the time of year, but it seems everyone in alife is talking about altruism.

There's a pretty good video on the topic over at Grey thumb

It parallels surprisingly close with what we've found already, especially the arbitrary reference tags/numbers.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 08:19:43 AM by Endy »

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Altruism Video
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 12:50:05 PM »
Based on some of what the video mentioned, I've redesigned the altruistic bot to include more gradual epigenetic memory change, less exacting identification, and a check for refage being greater than or equal to robage.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Altruism Video
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 04:22:09 PM »
Has it helped in anyway?

I have watched it now;

Trivial Geography, the idea that you can only reproduce etc in predefined parts of the sim was something to think about.

Also Selfish Mimics; (wrote this while listening to it)
Defection is not just when an agent mimics or guesses the password; in DB it is also the kin not using the password and others not being able to recognise the kin not using the password.
We never did implement a (how many of my friends have you killed) tag AFAIK. Perhaps a (how much nrg have you gained from my species) or ‘morality’ sysvars would be useful, an overview, without using individual tags and observed behaviour, something the bots aren’t that good at, to allow a bot to make a judgement on the behaviour of others.
It just seems to me that kin dropping the password recognition system should have a downside, interested to know how it might be considered to work in unicellular asexual life. Why DB shows the trait of cannabalism so often when life obviously finds advantages to not mutate this way very much. (Or what disadvantages life presents to those that do) (I know; old question, pls forgive)

Plus the way he used several factors to define acceleration was interesting, (Breve swarm) although, as the bots have a very microscopic view of their world, it might be harder to recreate the same formula for our bots.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Altruism Video
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 11:08:59 PM »
I still contend that the reason colonies in real life are at least a little altruistic is because other colonies that become cannibalistic die off.

A large step towards preventing cannibalism would be to implement a unique ID for every bot.  Then bots could override an altruistic gene with a tit-for-tat response to being nibbled upon.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Altruism Video
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 06:29:39 PM »
Has it helped any?

Kind of... The population is less prone to the large swings I had been seeing. They tend to stabalize faster, but they still become Canni's to some degree or another. After evolving for awhile it seems the epigenetic value is kept for more of an avoidance value. Once stable they tend to stay stable, but it also doesn't do a whole lot and eventually I'll come back to a restarted sim.