Author Topic: C++ snapshot  (Read 7144 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« on: December 19, 2006, 06:18:30 AM »
Here's a snapshot of the C++ code and exe as it exists at the moment (minues some of Sprotiel's new changes that I haven't downloaded yet.  Sorry Sprotiel!).  When you start the simulation, you will see about 100 veggies clump because of planet eaters and eventually form a planet.  There is a small stable of bots that come with this snapshot, but most current bots should work just as well in the new version.

The most notable differences between this and older 2.4X versions is ties (specifically the lack of alot of tie functions) and physics.  Please play with the physics.  The mouse wheel zooms in/out and left clicking and holding will let you "drag" the display around.  

Read sysvarschanges.txt to see what's different.  This version represents a place DB was at before most of Eric's changes, so there are no shapes, for instance.

This also comes with the source code, so for those so inclined they can use this source code and project files to get started (although you'll need some dependancies, please consult the wiki).

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 07:38:48 AM »
Tried running it on my laptop and the exe at the base directory crashes.  If this happens to you, go to source->workspace->debug and copy that exe to the base directory and run it.  It's going to be alot slower, but it should run.

Also, at slower frame rates you'll probably see bots seem to "lurch".  This is because the graphics thread and the engine thread are reading from robots at the same time, so at slower frame rates you'll actually get several frames drawn per cycle of the simulation.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:42:50 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 08:16:31 AM »
Pasted exe from debug over original and got message 'the application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem' which it didn't.

Any suggestions? Have I done something wrong?
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 08:24:57 AM »
It seems I'm supposed to include the dependancy manifest file with the exe...  I'll upload a fixed version later today when my laptop works again (spilled water on the keyboard  )

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 09:03:10 AM »
Before I rebuild the zip, someone try this exe and tell me if it works or not.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 09:29:34 AM »
Not for me sorry,

Gives an open file security warning and then a DB encountered a problem, please tell MS about this problem message
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 10:06:36 AM »
There aren't any problems when I tried running it on my sister's computer, but I don't know what that means.  I never did program very good error handling

Are you running the exe straight from a download, or are you placing it in the Darwinbots2.5 directory?  If you run the exe naked without the Foxlib files it should give you a warning telling you not to do that...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 10:08:25 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 11:15:17 AM »
Your original DB download was unzipped into C/program files
The replacement exe was downloaded into the DB2.5 folder to replace the exisiting exe.

Is it possible that my pc is missing some software DB needs that the computers you have tried it on have already? Maybe it's one of those often forgotten driver updates I haven't done yet.  
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 11:59:09 AM »
I don't think so.  But you could try to install the latest version of the .Net framework, and see if that does it.  The only dependancies are the c run time libraries and fox GUI.  And it comes with the DLLs for fox gui.

Offline frankle

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 03:00:44 PM »
You need .NET framework 2.0 to run it.

Offline vryko

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 05:32:53 PM »
I have .net2 and also get the error

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 06:00:57 PM »
I have downloaded .net 3.0 and will try a reinstall tomorrow.
Douglas Adams

Offline Sprotiel

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 06:57:09 PM »
The exe (from the zip file) works for me, though it crashes sometimes and birth ties are never deleted.

And I never installed .NET!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 06:59:27 PM by Sprotiel »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 10:56:30 PM »
I can't find any rhyme or reason to why it crashes on some computers and not others.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
C++ snapshot
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 07:02:16 AM »
.net 3.0 didn't help and when I checked I already had .net 2.0 installed.
Douglas Adams