Author Topic: League stack place problem  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
League stack place problem
« on: December 12, 2006, 05:29:49 PM »
488 rounds, bots neck and neck, had left League for few hours, when I came back it said;

Error. Out of stack space. Saving sim in saves directory as error.sim

Would have been better if it had saved it as ‘forEric.sim’ but I was impressed with this new user friendly feature.  

Not really sure if this is a my pc bug (16g spare space) or program bug. The saved sim doesn't seem to show anything useful, one bot had 140 population one bot had 0 at time of stoppage IIRC.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »
The way the league code was written (not by me) involves a recursive re-invocation of simulations.  If a contest goes too many rounds, this will blow VB's stack.

I can fix this but it involves mucking about with the core of how leagues are, ahem... 'architected'.

I will put it on the list and look at it more closely later tonight, but I think this may be something we want to wait on unless I find an easy fix.
Many beers....

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:02:45 PM »
Np, thanks for checking it.

As long as I know this will happen then it'll just be a rule 'any pair of bots reaching x amount of rounds without a clear winner will be deemed to have lost'

Will this always happen at the same amount of rounds or would I need to do it all again to find out?
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 07:21:10 PM »
My guess is that it will happen at about the same number of rounds, perhaps +/- 5%.
Many beers....