Author Topic: Detergents that kill 99.99% of germs  (Read 4058 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Detergents that kill 99.99% of germs
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:55:54 PM »
Have any of you seen the commercials for the soaps that kill 99.99% of bacteria?  Does anyone else think they're almost criminally irresponsible?

I mean, they kill all but a handful of germs.  Why does that .01% survive?  Probably because they're immune in some way.

:blink: Where have we seen this before?  Oh yeah, penicillin!  HAVE WE LEARNED NOTHING?

60 years from now hospitals will be battling to stay anaseptic.  Basic handwashing soap will either be innefective or tighly regulated (I'm sorry Mrs. Jones, but #1 doesn't need soap.).

All because germ-o-phobic parents are scared of a few surface germs.  MADNESS!

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 01:01:35 PM »
They even put labels like that on Bleach!

I think they are just covering their asses in case some new breed of super germ learns to thrive on the stuff.

:D  PY  :D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 01:03:32 PM »
If you find a germ that can live in bleach I think you can safely say
[span style=\'font-size:11pt;line-height:100%\']SCIENCE HAS GONE TO FAR[[/span] (que up the cheesy b-scifi movie soundtrack)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 01:20:07 PM »
There is no stuff that works immediately and 100% efficiently, unless it is so toxic that it is harmful to use.  Take that soap:  simply because it is a detergent, it is going to kill bacteria, but not immediately.  It will dpepnd on strength of the detergent, its concentration and time you expose bacteria to the stuff.  For each of these things you can create a curve, like time vs. % killed or concentration vs. % killed.

For hand soap you can't really vary the time too much - people are not going to soak their hands for hours in soap.  So the detergent must work within 10 seconds or so.  So you start varying the strength and concentration.  But there is another problem - if soap is too strong, it will make your hands dry and damage skin.  So the idea is to find the right balance.  Previosuly most of soaps were under-strenghthed (sp?).  These guys claim they found the right balance.

But for me this is just a gimmick.  The 99.9% killing rate (I have not actually seen ads for 99.99%) means that one in a thousand bacteria survive.  Considering the amount of bacteria we have on our hands, this is really nothing.  It just gives you a false sense of security :)
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 03:55:27 PM »
there will allways be those who become immune to things, but the imunisation might open other ways they become vurneble in, but not necceserely and SCIENCE DONT GO TO FAR, it makes progress, its not the science decision how to use things, sure science made the nuclear bomb, but it was never a scientist who gave the acctual order to drop it, it was the president.  science makes progress, the politics decied how to use it. like cloning, its good, but its the politicers choice how to use it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 03:59:09 PM by zelos »
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA