Author Topic: not need end instruction anymore?  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
not need end instruction anymore?
« on: December 01, 2006, 02:03:16 PM »
As the title said, am just trolling the forum downloading the SB and MB leagues and wanted to make sure.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 02:41:55 PM »
The DNA parse routines assume an implicit end statement at the end of a bot file, so it is not strictly necessary.  The end statement exists so that a mutation can result in a clipped genome.
Many beers....

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 03:22:05 PM »
I got the first sentence but the second passed me by with barely a wave.

What do you mean by a 'clipped genome' please...

Also; can I have moderator privilege for the leagues/bestiary bit of forum please, many bots seem to be missing and if I can locate them I would like to add them to the dna lists.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 03:25:15 PM by Jez »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 03:41:06 PM »
If I mutate an end statement into the middle of my genome, it essentially clips my genome at that point.
Many beers....

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 04:07:26 PM »
Tyvm, I understand now.

Now; about that moderator privilege, I'm doing lots of work here to bring the league up to date, would really appreciate it. Have just finished renaming all the bots so that we can instantly see which of the old leagues they would have been in and who wrote them, just about to search my PC for the missing bots. seems a shame if I can't post the info in the proper place...

On the other hand; completely understand if the current mod's don't want another one, happy to just post the info and let someone else sort out the proper placing of info if you (mods) feel that is a better way of doing things.

RSVP
Douglas Adams

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 07:17:20 PM »
You now have moderator privs on Leagues.
Many beers....

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 02:51:15 AM »
Thanks Eric, I'm gonna post some bots for transfer to the bestiary that are shown as league competitors but I haven't spotted the code in the bestiary.

Are people happy with the bestiary as it is? There are loads of bots from the old forums that are missing, I don't know how complete people want it.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 03:45:20 AM »
Eventually I want the beastiary to be obsolete because there will be a database in the webspace that manages all the bots.  The Darwinbots application itself would be used to Download and upload bots.

So short answer: I give you full reign to do with it as you please, with the sole caveat that you don't delete bots

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 05:19:45 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
with the sole caveat that you don't delete bots

Eeek! Heaven forbid!!

It was more whether you wanted the bestiary pretty much as it stands or filled to overflowing with a much more comprehensive database of ex bots. I.e the folder I have of pre 2.3 bots (till 28/July/04) has virtually every bot put on the forums up to that date. I also have a file covering many of the other bots posted in 2004. My records don't cover beyond that unfortunately

I don't know if that is useful in anyway for the eventual plan of having an online database, I guess I'm just a little bit of an anorak in liking complete records, a sort of history of DB bot development for those reminiscent days.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 05:25:38 AM »
By all means post older bots.  Try to date them so users will know what to expect if they run it on a newer version.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 05:37:37 AM »
Np, most of them are dated anyway. I don't think I have privilege to post directly in bestiary, you might want to change that unless you are willing to move them all from starting gate.  It's gonna make me a bit of a forum whore for a while....

Try to date them so users will know what to expect if they run it on a newer version.
You mean instapop? lol
Douglas Adams