Author Topic: Discerpo Inscribo  (Read 15446 times)

Offline kage

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 12:49:46 PM »
Quote from: Jez
(As posted in league settings by Nums), check that your costs are proportional and at 100%. unfortunately using the league settings in the latest DB version tends to set this at zero, meaning your bot won't get any reward for firing shots. Tick and untick the F1 settings option first so that it is as close to default as possible.

It's not a code fault, it's a settings fault and Eric is working on the problem as we speak.

wait...most of the time they like don't move, they don't seem to want to eat the veggies most of the time...should I add something in so they will eat them?

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 08:11:41 AM »
When I looked at your bot before, when the settings had been mostly sorted, they were handicapped because they didn't look for veg. That used to be ok in the leagues, but for some reason it seems to be more of a problem now.

They did seem to hunt veg ok if it got within their field of view though. (Once costs were proporitional and 100)

Either a search for veg routine or a more explosive birth routine (bots leaving parents territory) might help. When the j buddy drop is done and the settings are fixed in stone for league, when I rerun all the bots, I'll have a better idea of what strategies work best and which are a bit old hat. Certainly some of the older winning routines don't look like they will function as well as they used to.

EDIT

Also, when you tick and untick the F1 conditions; start the sim once ticked then stop it; untick F1; set costs. Otherwise F1 settings don't seem to be set properly. Just thought that might be problem.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 08:13:29 AM by Jez »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 09:50:25 AM »
Also, when you tick and untick the F1 conditions; start the sim once ticked then stop it; untick F1; set costs. Otherwise F1 settings don't seem to be set properly. Just thought that might be problem.
The F1 settings from the F1 Contest Conditions checkbox don't actually get set until the Start New button is pressed.  This is so the cancel button can be pressed without changes.
Many beers....

Offline kage

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 05:40:36 PM »
When I looked at your bot before, when the settings had been mostly sorted, they were handicapped because they didn't look for veg. That used to be ok in the leagues, but for some reason it seems to be more of a problem now.

They did seem to hunt veg ok if it got within their field of view though. (Once costs were proporitional and 100)

Either a search for veg routine or a more explosive birth routine (bots leaving parents territory) might help. When the j buddy drop is done and the settings are fixed in stone for league, when I rerun all the bots, I'll have a better idea of what strategies work best and which are a bit old hat. Certainly some of the older winning routines don't look like they will function as well as they used to.

EDIT

A erm...search routine?

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 06:54:04 PM »
Ooh, er

The search routine you are using atm is rotation, when it sees a veg it moves toward the veg.

A more extensive search routine, if you are finding your bots end up sitting still, not seeing veg and therefore not getting the energy to reproduce, might be to add some movement to your bot. Either if it's not moving to accelerate to a speed and then start rotating again while it travels across sim decelerating, or if it hasn't seen anything in X rotations to stop rotating for a cycle or two and accelerate, then start rotating while moving. (Increasing the area bots can scan for food)

Another way to increase the area that your bots cover; multiplication at start to increase number of eyes and then bots moving away from their own species. Having your own bots sitting next to each other is obviously going to reduce the area of the sim that they can scan for food.

Tieing to friends and using the ability to violently stretch and break the tie is, or was, an effective way to give your bots kinetic energy for little or no cost.

I'm just about to test the latest buddy drop, I'll probably have a better idea of what makes a succesful bot now once I have run the leagues, or at least the F1 league.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 11:19:56 PM »
One of my bots, enitor comesum I believe, used a very efficient search gene that works well in low friction sims.  Basically it would accelerate in a random direction if its velocity was zero and there was nothing to eat.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2006, 09:12:39 AM »
Didn't see that in bestiary so it has been added here: Enitor Comesum
Douglas Adams

Offline kage

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 03:48:05 PM »
Even when it sees food it no longer tries to eat

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 05:35:18 PM »
Enitor Comesum or Descerpo Inscribo?

If it is your bot then PM or post the DNA and I'll/we'll see if I/we can figure out the reason.

PS The leagues are very close to being perfect now, all credit to Eric, so if you are still having a problem with veg it is worth looking at. (I've run into similar problems loads of times, when I post it it's always something I've missed!   )
Douglas Adams

Offline kage

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2006, 08:11:20 PM »
Well here it um...is.  I haven't looked at the bot you guys suggested, but as of now it doesn't move attack or spin, even when it sees food...I messed this one up pretty good this time  

Code: [Select]
'Discerpo Inscribo v1.6
'Made by Kage
'Latin for Dividing Entity
'It fights best against
'tie feeders because it quickly
'reproduces into multiple cells
'when it has been tied and overpowers
'its foe from all angles

cond
*.robage 0 =
start
7 989 store
stop

cond
*.vitmer 0 =
start
3 .mkvirus store
stop

cond
7 *989 !=
start
-2 .shoot store
stop

cond
*.eye5 20 >
*.vtimer 1 =
start
100 .vshoot store
stop

cond
*.eye5 0 >
*.refeye *.myeye !=
start
*.refveldx .dx store
*.refvelup 30 add .up store
stop

cond
*.eye5 50 >
*.refeye *.myeye !=
start
-6 .shoot store
*.refvelup .up store
stop

cond
*.eye5 0 =
*.refeye *.myeye = or
start
314 rnd .aimdx store
stop

cond
*.tiepres 0 !=
*.nrg 5000 > or
start
50 .repro store
stop

cond
*.waste 40 >
start
.backshot inc
-4 .shoot store
*.waste .shootval store
stop

cond
*.mkvirus 0 !=
start
*.mkvirus .delgene store
stop

cond
*.slime 300 <
start
100 .mkslime store
stop

cond
 *.poison 500 <
start
 50 .strpoison store
stop

cond
 *.shell 250 <
start
 100 .mkshell store
stop

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2006, 05:03:35 AM »
Well it is only showing 5 genes if I view genes activations, it did show me all the genes in show robot info/DNA but then changed it to only showing me 5 genes there as well. May have been after I fixed the spelling mistake in G2.

Very strange, may have found a bug there, can't see a reason for it.

Interested to know if other peeps can only see 5 genes in sim using view genes activations.
Douglas Adams

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2006, 10:36:26 AM »
I would take a good hard look at gene 10, as the source of the problem  

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2006, 11:57:49 AM »
Rofl, it is deleting it's own genes! Well spotted Light.  

Kage,

with G2 and G10 fixed it'll beat at least the first three bots in F1 league, it drew 3 all v Anon Terrifica when I tested a fixed version just now, won't do a full run until you release it as an entry in league.

Your original bot also works, if it hadn't been for the fact that it didn't repro unless tied to I would have seen how far it went in league, as it is it would be starvation matches v all the F2 bots that it didn't find and kill so haven't bothered yet. It you want it entered as is just say.
Douglas Adams

Offline kage

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2006, 03:58:17 PM »
Rofl, it is deleting it's own genes! Well spotted Light.  

Kage,

with G2 and G10 fixed it'll beat at least the first three bots in F1 league, it drew 3 all v Anon Terrifica when I tested a fixed version just now, won't do a full run until you release it as an entry in league.

Your original bot also works, if it hadn't been for the fact that it didn't repro unless tied to I would have seen how far it went in league, as it is it would be starvation matches v all the F2 bots that it didn't find and kill so haven't bothered yet. It you want it entered as is just say.

Okay, thanks a lot. (you are talking about the non-gene destroying version right?)

Offline kage

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2007, 05:33:47 PM »
Well, after 3 months of completely forgetting about darwin bots, I'm back again, and will probably be working more on my bot now  

I'm surprised I'm still in F1 (I'll still be out pretty quickly though, seeing as how I'm like 26 out of 30 right now, lol).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:05:38 PM by kage »