Author Topic: Discerpo Inscribo  (Read 15461 times)

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« on: December 01, 2006, 01:13:38 PM »
Cool! The leagues are all being merged into one atm, hopefully the last problem with running the leagues in the latest version of DB has been fixed now. As soon as all the bots have been re-rated the results will be posted.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline kage

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 03:38:48 PM »
Quote from: Jez
Cool! The leagues are all being merged into one atm, hopefully the last problem with running the leagues in the latest version of DB has been fixed now. As soon as all the bots have been re-rated the results will be posted.

okay, thank you

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 04:14:19 PM »
Hey Kage,

I've just classified that as a MB, (rather than F1 or F2 bot). Is that the correct classification? Sorry I haven't studied code and watched it etc but if you think that's wrong please say. If you are not sure of league classes read the description of league rules for MB/F1/F2/SB

Promise to make classification easier in future but...
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
It doesn't have any .tie command so cant be a MB, so F2

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 05:23:31 PM »
Thanks, clasification changed.
Douglas Adams

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 05:57:42 AM »
Can't post in your original post for this bot anymore so I'll put it here;

Using DB 2.42.9g your bot is unable to survive (on its own) using F1 conditions.

I thought at first that it was because it was a stationary bot but when I tested it I noticed that it seemed to die when attempting to feed off veg's.

Did you use an older version of DB to write your bot?

I am sure some of the people here will be able to identify what is causing the problem if you want to find out.

Don't feel to bad, the last bot I wrote (blue on blue) now does exactly the same thing. I hope to see an updated version of your bot soon, it is based on a good idea.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 06:03:08 AM by Jez »
Douglas Adams

Offline kage

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 09:37:44 AM »
Can't post in your original post for this bot anymore so I'll put it here;

Using DB 2.42.9g your bot is unable to survive (on its own) using F1 conditions.

I thought at first that it was because it was a stationary bot but when I tested it I noticed that it seemed to die when attempting to feed off veg's.

Did you use an older version of DB to write your bot?

I am sure some of the people here will be able to identify what is causing the problem if you want to find out.

Don't feel to bad, the last bot I wrote (blue on blue) now does exactly the same thing. I hope to see an updated version of your bot soon, it is based on a good idea.

Thanks for putting me in anyways, I will mess around with it in the hopes of giving it a better chance at survival (it never did do good with veggies...Was I dead first?lol)

Hmm, I still don't know how to get it to feed off veggies better, any help there would be very appreciated (At this point I am still copy and pasting from the bot tutorials and can't read code very well alone)

Oh, and it turns out I had an older version on my computer, which would also explain a lot (such as my trouble shooting viruses) and my inability for anything to survive at all, and the fact that no plants ever survived...lol, a lot more stuff makes sense now
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 10:04:02 AM by kage »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 12:10:12 PM »
If someone has a specific example of a bot that worked in a pervious version but does not work as expected in a recent version, I would love to know about it.  I've done nothing that I know of to break older bots.  There are a few known cases where older bots that relied upon a bug or the tie physics of a specific version, but other than that, all bots should work as they always have in recent versions.
Many beers....

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 12:19:25 PM »
Bot put into F2 Bestiary all other posts merged and moved to bot tavern

Quick summary of genes
  • Move towards something far away
  • Move and shoot something close by
  • Turn if I see nothing
  • Reproduce
  • Get rid of waste
  • Kill propogating viruses
  • Slime
You've got the good basics of a bot

The most obvious problem I see with this bot is the reproduction gene
Code: [Select]
cond
*.tiepres 0 !=
start
50 .repro store
stop

The bot will only reproduce when another bot ties to it, couple this with the fact the bot produces slime which actively works to stop another bot tieing to it, and if your fighting against a bot that doesn't use ties your not going to reproduce at all. I would consider adding "*.nrg somenumber > or"
eg
Code: [Select]
cond
*.tiepres 0 !=
*.nrg 5000 > or
start
50 .repro store
stop

So that the bot will also reproduce when another bot ties to it or when it has lots of energy

2nd change I would suggest is to switch to -6 shots and not power them up, much more efficient for feeding from veg.

I think these small changes would bring about a big performance increase, The DNA can seem quite daunting, especially all the different sysvars, but it does get easier with practice and any questions about anything, just ask, someone will know the awnser
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 01:51:43 PM by Light »

Offline kage

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 04:05:55 PM »
Thanks, about how much should I power them up or shouldn't I power them up at all?  I might also want to add more stuff to it so it would classify as an F1 bot, F2 doesn't allow ties so one of its main strengths would be useless...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 04:26:47 PM by Light »

Offline Light

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 04:26:05 PM »
To be honest I wouldn't power them up, but you can allways try experimenting, run versions with powered up shots against another bot and then try a non powered up version against the same bot and see which works best. Its classed as an F2 because it doesn't shoot viruses or ties, but Jez is running a league for all bots, so your bot would face F1 bots that use ties and viruses. In the past some F2 bots have been entered into the F1 league and to some extent F2 bots are stronger than F1.

Offline kage

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 06:50:21 PM »
Quote from: Light
To be honest I wouldn't power them up, but you can allways try experimenting, run versions with powered up shots against another bot and then try a non powered up version against the same bot and see which works best. Its classed as an F2 because it doesn't shoot viruses or ties, but Jez is running a league for all bots, so your bot would face F1 bots that use ties and viruses. In the past some F2 bots have been entered into the F1 league and to some extent F2 bots are stronger than F1.

Should I remove the slime?

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 08:05:53 AM »
Oops! May well be my fault that your bot died Kage.  Yours was probably the first one I tested which is why I made this post. You may have noticed that more bots that I tested died v veg than survived, including every one of my bots that I tested!!  

If you have downloaded the latest version of DB then you will be able to see how well it is doing for yourself, it has been suggested that it is the waste setting causing this problem so I'll be trying all the bots that couldn't cope again; after changing the waste setting.

AFAIK (I'm familiar with the old versions of DB not the latest ones but it should still be the same ) slime is a defence against ties. It doesn't cause your bot any harm to have slime when you don't need it, all it is doing then is costing nrg to make! It used to be that you could only have slime or shell but I'm not sure that is true still. I'll check the wiki in a while and make sure.

I am running all the leagues as one at the moment. Depending on the result I may then title that the F1 league and reinstate all the old leagues, that's why I am adding the (F1) or (F2) etc bits to the bots names, they'll be easier to sort back into individual leagues and we'll be able to see at a glance which are the dominant types of bots.

What I normally do if I change a bot, power it up lots or add ties etc, but keep the original design of an old bot is simply add a V2 or V1.1 to it. That way you keep the old bot and have a recognisable new bot while keeping track of how the new bot developed.
F2 simply means you can't use ties for feeding, it's fine to use ties in other ways though.
Douglas Adams

Offline kage

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 09:23:32 AM »
Oops! May well be my fault that your bot died Kage.  Yours was probably the first one I tested which is why I made this post. You may have noticed that more bots that I tested died v veg than survived, including every one of my bots that I tested!!  

If you have downloaded the latest version of DB then you will be able to see how well it is doing for yourself, it has been suggested that it is the waste setting causing this problem so I'll be trying all the bots that couldn't cope again; after changing the waste setting.

AFAIK (I'm familiar with the old versions of DB not the latest ones but it should still be the same ) slime is a defence against ties. It doesn't cause your bot any harm to have slime when you don't need it, all it is doing then is costing nrg to make! It used to be that you could only have slime or shell but I'm not sure that is true still. I'll check the wiki in a while and make sure.

I am running all the leagues as one at the moment. Depending on the result I may then title that the F1 league and reinstate all the old leagues, that's why I am adding the (F1) or (F2) etc bits to the bots names, they'll be easier to sort back into individual leagues and we'll be able to see at a glance which are the dominant types of bots.

What I normally do if I change a bot, power it up lots or add ties etc, but keep the original design of an old bot is simply add a V2 or V1.1 to it. That way you keep the old bot and have a recognisable new bot while keeping track of how the new bot developed.
F2 simply means you can't use ties for feeding, it's fine to use ties in other ways though.

Can we leech in F1 if someone else ties to us?

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Discerpo Inscribo
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 09:35:57 AM »
You can do anything you like in F1, the bots can be as nasty and devious as you wish.  

EDIT

Btw, if you don't want to keep quoting the last post just click on add reply at bottom rather than reply on post.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 09:36:59 AM by Jez »
Douglas Adams