Author Topic: Leagues (again)  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Leagues (again)
« on: December 01, 2006, 04:24:12 PM »
And if so, seeing as this defeats the idea of having a fairly unlimited league length, is there any chance of changing it?
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Leagues (again)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 07:38:51 PM »
I beleive there is limit today of 30 bots in a league file (and 30 challengers at a time).  This limit appears pretty arbitrary, mostly just the way the code was originally written due to limits on the league dialog UI.  There is no fundenmental reason why this limit can't be increased.  I will add this to my to-do list.

On a different note, I would like to see a league where hand-coding is entirely prohibited.  That is, a league where the only requirement is that the bot be 100% evolved from an all-zero DNA first-bot predecesor.  People can use whatever means they wish to breed their entry over as many cycles and in whatever environments they wish provided none of the bot's DNA has it's orgins in a hand-coded organism (thus, no viral gene transfer from hand-coded bots in the breeding sim).
Many beers....

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Leagues (again)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:42:44 AM »
Interesting idea. Perhaps provide a template bot that all entries have to be evolved from. I was wondering what, if anything, to do as a follow up to the evo league.

I should be able to start running the new league today, I'll get it up to 30 (active) bots and then probably leave it until the league length limit is changed. Thanks.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams