Author Topic: League Problems  (Read 27183 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
League Problems
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2007, 11:58:45 PM »
You did this exact same last time when we were talking about something completely different, and I don't like it.

I do know what you're talking about.  I am capable of reading your posts and extracting information.  But since I'm not agreeing with you it must mean that I don't understand what you mean.  After all, I'm just a kid, and what can a kid possibly know about the world compared with your decades of experience, eh?

Quite frankly, this is childish behavior, and I won't stand for it.  I do know what you're trying to say.  It bothers you that I'm spending all this effort assuring that the league matches are fair when the greater unfairness is in how the matches are organized into a league.

You don't like the fact that the initial ordering plays so heavily in determining the final ordering.  What you'd like to see is several different groupings of about 30 bots each, with these groupings performing the round robin tournament, and rankings determined from that.

And last, you don't want to have to run 400 matches to arrive at a statistically valid result, because you feel that that is way over the top of what is necessary.

It is possible for someone to understand what you're saying, understand your position fully, and still disagree.  If it wasn't, there wouldn't be political parties, would there?  I understand what you'd like to do, and I'm willing to give you the tools to do it, but I just don't think I would want to replace the leagues with it.

After all, why are we even ranking bots in the league?  What's the point?  It's a mark for new bot designers to shoot for.  New bots that make the #1 position should have to defeat all previous bots in the league.  Anything else is superflous.  But we have the ranking anyway because people want more than just a single #1 bot.