Author Topic: Hello I need help  (Read 3823 times)

Offline JBOSS2000

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hello I need help
« on: November 30, 2006, 03:32:15 AM »
Hello Alife group.
I am Justin C.B. from Michigan USA.
I am new to the alife society,  but I am a professional computer graphic artist with a novice background in computer programming. I also have a personal love for genetic research and A.I. Development. I would very grateful for any suggestions on any  readings to further develop  my knowledge in this field. I am wishing for any suggestions pertaining to swarm dynamics, biological cellular behavior, and other related fields. Thank you for your help in advance!!!
Justin C.B.
God is the programmer, and DNA is his language.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Hello I need help
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:53:15 AM »
Hiya Justin,

Welcome to the DB forums: Somebody like Shvarz might be able to help you re biological stuff, just out of interest though are you after books or internet sources? And how well read are you on these subjects? Don't want to waste your time with basic stuff if you are after degree level material!!
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline JBOSS2000

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hello I need help
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 03:38:16 AM »
Hello Jez,
   To respond to your query about  information sources, I prefer hard copy text (I’m sort of a book hoarder) but internet sources are convenient and economical.  Pertaining to your inquiry about my level of education in this field, I am more of a self educated geneticist, my academic (and professional) career is focused on  creative visual computer expression (I.e. graphic arts, website development, and my main focus, digital video editing and special f/x). As I have stated before, this pursue in alife is a hobby and labor of love to me, so any level of text will be appreciated. I’m am very well read, and can understand the arcane and detailed syntax of high academic papers. I will be very grateful for any suggestions of informational text. So again thank you for your help and time.

Thank you,
Justin C.B.
Justin C.B.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Hello I need help
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 04:13:41 AM »
Wikipedia is going to be an excellent primer.  The Artificial life page is a good starting point, and provides links to the pages on swarming.

In the end though, the only practical knowledge comes with experience.  Either in a simulator like Darwinbots or in petri dishes if you're specifically interested in evolution, or similar models if you're interested in related areas like genetic algorthims and biologically inspired optimization problems.

BTW, your Avatar is freaking me out
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 04:14:34 AM by Numsgil »

Offline JBOSS2000

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Hello I need help
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 04:28:56 AM »
Thank you for your input, I haven't been a user of wikipedia, so I will take your suggestion and do a little research with this information source. I agree with your statement "the only practical knowledge comes with experience", for my personal development in alife has been "hands on".  Oh, and thank you, I was striving for the whole "freak out" experience with my Avatar.
Justin C.B.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Hello I need help
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 04:42:52 PM »
Happy B/day Jboss!  
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams