Author Topic: "Best bot" in veggie-only sims  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Zinc Avenger

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
"Best bot" in veggie-only sims
« on: November 28, 2006, 08:09:05 AM »
The "Best bot" button doesn't work in veggie-only sims. Which is understandable, I guess given the heterotroph orientation of the program, but if you hit "best bot" then try to call up Robot Info, the program crashes.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 05:31:27 AM »
I don't trust this function works well under heterotroph sims either. What does the program consider the best bot? I prefer to select one manually who appears to be a strong survivor and keep up a stable population.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Zinc Avenger

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 07:05:56 AM »
Then perhaps we should have a discussion on what counts as "best". Perhaps a formula that takes into account age, offspring, kills and body. Heck, how about an option box where we can assign weights to various factors to use in best bot calculations?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 11:57:55 AM »
Today's code defines 'fittest' as lifetime fucundity - bascially, the extant bot with the most extant descendents, which is a pretty good definition IMHO, but if people have a better definition, I'd be happy to hear it.

Perhaps what would be best is to add different kinds of canned 'best bot' queries so people can select the kind of 'best' they are most interested in I.e. oldest extant bot, extant bot with most nrg/body, one with the highest kills, most effecieint nrg usage, etc.

Over time, I want to add the ability to tie scripts or the equivalent into having externally defined fitness criteria so the human can breed bots towards a goal other than pure survival.  For example, Elite's challenges have got me thinking that it would be cool to breed bots towards solving them.  This would obviously provide objective criteria for what consitutes best.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 11:58:28 AM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 03:17:34 PM »
There was a discussion with Griz about this a while ago, somewhere in the suggestions forum.

Offline Zinc Avenger

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 07:47:45 AM »
But we've strayed a way from the point I originally brought up - a bug report that if you hit "best bot" in a sim with only veggies, DB crashes on me.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 09:53:47 AM »
No worries.  I'm on it.
Many beers....

Offline Zinc Avenger

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 05:52:57 AM »
 Thanks! Now that's service. Have a cookie!

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 06:47:24 PM »
Quote from: Zinc Avenger
The "Best bot" button doesn't work in veggie-only sims. Which is understandable, I guess given the heterotroph orientation of the program, but if you hit "best bot" then try to call up Robot Info, the program crashes.
I cannot seem to reproduce this.  Bot properties works fine for me on the best bot in a veg only sim.

Could you post a sim which demonstrates the crash?  Thanks.
Many beers....