Author Topic: Space-Time for Springers  (Read 4136 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Space-Time for Springers
« on: November 01, 2006, 11:24:04 AM »
As was evident from previous discussions, at least some of you share my literary tastes, and this post is for those people.  I've scanned, OCRed and posted a short story by Fritz Leiber.  I think it is the best story by the author (even though it can hardly be called sci-fi) and one of the best stories that I ever read.  Go here to read it: http://shvarz.livejournal.com/100363.html#cutid1

Post your thoughts here.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Space-Time for Springers
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 05:55:54 AM »
Cool story, thanks for posting the link. Don't think I have ever read any of his books before so an author I shall keep an eye out for in future.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Space-Time for Springers
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 08:31:51 AM »
I kind of like Fritz Leiber.

I think I have read all his stories about Faffard and the Grey Mouser (even if I can't spell the big guy's name  )
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Space-Time for Springers
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 02:07:25 PM »
I am glad you liked it!

He is most famous for the Fafhrd books that PY mentioned.  But those are pure fantasy, which I don't enjoy as much as sf (besides I read them in translation, which was not too good).  His most famous sf work is probably "Stranger" in which a moon-sized artificial sattelite suddenly appears next to earth, causing fear and destruction.

His stories are very good, so if you see a collection in a used books store - grab it.  His most famous story (which won a bunch of awards) is "Gonna roll the bones".
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam