Poll

Should settings files go away?

Yes, I'd be okay with that.  I never use settings files, sims work for me, so blow them away.
3 (33.3%)
No.  I use settings file as I describe below.  Please don;t get rid of them.
1 (11.1%)
Maybe.  I'd be okay with settings files going away only if you deal with what I describe below in this topic.
3 (33.3%)
Don't care.
0 (0%)
I still like cheese, Gromit.
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Should we do away with settings files?  (Read 12036 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Should we do away with settings files?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 09:09:09 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
Yes, you are right, but it seems to take a little effort to get it to show in the UI. I had to open and close the UI back and forth before the program got it.
In what scenerio?  You can't File->Load Simulation with the options dialog open, it's modal.  If you are saying that when you open the options dialog after loading a sim the settings do not reflect the settings in the sim you just loaded, that would be called a serious bug.  Please post it as a separate topic with the repro steps.  Thanks.
Many beers....

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 05:49:22 PM »
Have not tried this recently, but my impression (last time I did it) was that sim files did not load and update all of the settings (some were missing). If you fixed that, then I'm OK with getting rid of settings files.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 07:03:21 PM »
Quote from: shvarz
my impression (last time I did it) was that sim files did not load and update all of the settings (some were missing).
Any example of this would and should be considerred a bug.  I know of no such issues in current versions nor are there any open bugs at present to this effect.
Many beers....

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 04:57:15 PM »
I still like cheese, Gromit.

And yes, in fact this is my major point.

If with empty sims desame can be achieved as with settings-files, it is all fine. Maybe some way to increase randomness, something like possibly spawning the bots to random places. Well I will try from now on to just open sim-files instead of settings, as the bugs there will probably not be fixed. If it isn't going well, I will be ready to whine about anything that the sim-files will need.

And now I will be looking for some cheese.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 05:31:55 PM »
A thought occurs-- if settings files are separate, it means we can replace them with text editable versions in the future, which can make bug hunting, feature additions, etc. easier to manage.

At the moment, the two different binary formats (settings and saves) are definately redundant though.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Re: Should we do away with settings files?
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 09:04:17 PM »
Agree with Numsgils op, I am going to make portal/IM configurations separate and ask the user if he wants to load a specific one (already in the settings file) on startup ... at that point a file is generated if it is not found on the harddrive.

I would prefer toyworld approach for db3.

For spike:

The second part is the borderline productive one. The first one was collaboratively informational and friendly.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:10:40 PM by Botsareus »

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Should we do away with settings files?
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
We need to be able to fiddle with settings, but on a system thats very simple for us, like IM is damn scary settings.
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.