Author Topic: 2.43 Changes  (Read 25375 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2006, 01:24:16 AM »
Quote from: Griz
I'd given up trying to get leagues to work ...
haven't been able to since 2.36 ...
and even then there were problems ...
but I could at least run a match on occasion.

so thought I'd give 2.42.x a try ...
seeing as you guys have been working on it
and jez had provided some guidance/basics.
I had high hopes
but ...
forgettabout it ...
don't fly ...
no matter what I try.
not with any 2.42.x version, including 'm'.

error.sim zip attached
Your sim crashes the first time the first bot in the sim is being drawn due to a huge X positon value.  I suspect you have a corrupt sim file of some sort.

If you are going to file bugs, please do it as a separate topic and with a complete description of the steps you took to produce the problem.
Many beers....

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2006, 03:36:36 AM »
Looks good to me, it did still say it had an error reading from the custom league I had created but it then ignored the error and carried on with the league.   (probably a user error)

It also looked pretty much like the old leagues did, with the few bots I have tested so far anyway, the only thing that looks different is the veg stacking as it got larger rather than spreading out as it used to. Not really a problem as far as I am concerned, it will just sometimes handicap the more stationary bots, specially as the change in bot sizes now means that the league field size can give more space for the bots.

I'll have a go at running a new F1 league from scratch and using all the old league entries to see if I spot any real problems.

Great work Eric! Thanks loads.

PS Griz, I hope you have managed to sort your problem with leagues.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 03:40:29 AM by Jez »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2006, 04:51:21 AM »
Are vegs fixed in the league settings?  I thought vegs were supposed to be mobile for the leagues.

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2006, 05:24:22 AM »
I think so, they were certainly not ticked as stationary when I checked. I'll see soon, now that I've renamed the first 27 entries for leagues.

Think it is undisturbed veg growing in patch that overlap.

EDIT

Yeah they certainly don't seem to be motionless
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:03:37 AM by Jez »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Griz

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2006, 10:27:21 AM »
Quote from: Jez
Looks good to me, it did still say it had an error reading from the custom league I had created but it then ignored the error and carried on with the league.   (probably a user error)

It also looked pretty much like the old leagues did, with the few bots I have tested so far anyway, the only thing that looks different is the veg stacking as it got larger rather than spreading out as it used to. Not really a problem as far as I am concerned, it will just sometimes handicap the more stationary bots, specially as the change in bot sizes now means that the league field size can give more space for the bots.

I'll have a go at running a new F1 league from scratch and using all the old league entries to see if I spot any real problems.

PS Griz, I hope you have managed to sort your problem with leagues.

nope.

I've had that read error as well ...
and yet it continues on ...
and encounters other probems.
ver m doesn't get that far for me.

is there a thread other than this one where we
can report and work on various problems?
these are likely not really 'bugs' ...
but just having all one's duck in a row.
I'd like to start 'clean' ...
using a F1 league/league table/bots that you
know works for you ...
if those are available somewhere to copy.

anyway ...
is there a league bug/problem thread?
talk to you there.

thanks
不知
~griz~
[/color]
   "The selection of Random Numbers is too important to be left to Chance"
The Mooj  a friend to all humanity
[/color]

Offline Griz

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2006, 10:36:24 AM »
Quote from: EricL
Your sim crashes the first time the first bot in the sim is being drawn due to a huge X positon value.  I suspect you have a corrupt sim file of some sort.

If you are going to file bugs, please do it as a separate topic and with a complete description of the steps you took to produce the problem.

I don't know that I have any sims using 2.42.x that are not corrupt.

how about a Default F1 League sim that is known to work ...
with correct league tables and F1 league bots ...
that I can copy?

is there an existing League Bug/Problem Thread somewhere?
不知
~griz~
[/color]
   "The selection of Random Numbers is too important to be left to Chance"
The Mooj  a friend to all humanity
[/color]

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2006, 10:57:49 AM »
If you can use the Running leagues yourself thread otherwise you'll have to start a league problems thread somewhere and I'll add a link to it from the running leagues yourself thread for anyone else that has problems.

EDIT

Or put it here: league problems
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:02:58 AM by Jez »
Douglas Adams

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2006, 01:15:31 PM »
I've tried to add more forgivness in places such as when a league subdirectory doesn't exist.  The code will let you know and create it now.  Similarly when the DNA for a bot in a league file isn't present in the league's sub directory, I prompt for it and then move it there.  Could be you hadn't created the subdirectory (or typoed the name or something).  Let me know what the error is if you hit it again.

I imagine the combination of middle of the road collision elasticity (which translates to bot overlap repel force) with metal surface friction is to blame for veggies stacking up.  When veggies reproduce, their offspring are obviously right next to the parent and they don't overlap but then when they are prevented from reproducing by the population limits they will grow VERY big over time and will end up overlapping some.  Note that this will appear more pronouced on some screens with aspect ratios diferent from the 4X3 used by DB.

Thank you.  I spend a lot of time on DB.  Its nice to be recognised.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2006, 08:21:17 PM »
Bump.

2.42.9n Buddy Drop Download

F1 waste threshold now 10000.
Fix for invisable shapes blocking vision.
Many beers....

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2006, 05:06:25 AM »
You are just to good to be true sometimes Eric! I'll try rerunning the leagues again later, thanks.
Douglas Adams

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2006, 01:26:13 AM »
Bump.

2.42.9o Buddy Drop Download

Did away with the recursive way in which the league code invoked rounds.  Minor surgury.  Don't think I messed anything up.  Hopefully, the stack overflow issue when running leagues should now be a thing of the past.

Also implemented the max rounds feature for leagues.  See the first post in this topic for details.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 01:28:04 AM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2006, 05:13:24 AM »
Thankyou Sir!

Will go and try it out..
Douglas Adams

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2006, 12:05:08 PM »
Bump.

2.42.9p Buddy Drop Download

Shots are now saved in sim files.  I've tested this pretty well I think, but I would appreciate it if people could try loading and saving a few sims with shots.  In particular, I would be interested in hearing confirmation that sims with virus shooters save and load properly as there are some delicate issues with saving and loading virus shots.

This drop does not have any new work on leagues.  I will dig into that today and probably make a drop with league fixes tomorrow.  This release is pretty close to what I think 2.43 should be however.  I'd like to make that release this week so I can enjoy the holidays.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2006, 11:34:20 AM »
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
2.43 Changes
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2006, 01:53:48 PM »
You think you could add the Dynamic Costs function for veggie only sims before New Years Eve? Unless there were objections against it. Forgot what topic this were mensioned in. Right now I've been running my evosim for days at 0.2 cycles with 1000 vegs in it. Maybe this function could lower the amount of vegs and keep the best fit and speed up the program a little. Don't want to change other things to speed up the program, like turning off vision for instance.  

The best thing whould be if you could make the dynamic cost work individually for autotrophs and heterotrophs, so you can keep selective pressure on each kind. For instance, in my other sim I think I have 1400 vegs and only 300 bots and everything stands still. No costs or reproduction.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.