Author Topic: Shapes preventing bots from reproducing  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Sprotiel

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Shapes preventing bots from reproducing
« on: November 13, 2006, 08:01:47 PM »
I believe bots are unable to reproduce despite storing something in .repro when they are in certain locations close to shapes. In any case, I'm getting vegs (Alga Minimalis) trying to repro but failing when they are located close below the only shape in my sim, though there seem to be no reason why repro should fail and while vegs located elsewhere repro correctly.

To reproduce the bug with the sim attached, pull a newly spawned veg just below the shape, it'll quickly reach 6000 nrg and start spinning, which indicates its repro gene is activated.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 08:22:02 PM »
I will take a closer look at this later tonight, but I did implement code that prevents reproduction if there is no room to reproduce so if the bot is faving the shape and is very close, reproduction will be (correctly) prevented.  Reproduction shoudl not be hamperred in any way if it is facing away however.  I will look close later.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:40:08 PM »
Okay, it was a typo in the code that checks to make sure bots arn't reproducing into a shape, a cut and paste error where I didn't change an .X to a .Y.  Bascially, the bug occurs when the bot is below a shape and the postion of the offspring had an X value higher than the Y value of the lower edge of the shape.

Very nice find and excellent bug report I might add.  Many thanks for the concise repro case.  Makes finding the problem easy.

Fixed in 2.42.9a.
Many beers....