Author Topic: Simoltaneous DNA execution  (Read 13199 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Simoltaneous DNA execution
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2005, 03:20:58 AM »
It looks like complex DNA structures came partly as a response to DNA damage.  I think maybe we can make mutations occur in single cells or viruses anytime, not just during reproduction.  Then if the cell has mechanisms in place to repair damage it can.

Here's a good table of effects:

1. Ionizing radiation - two strand breaks in DNA - causes deletions and translocations
2. UV light - pyrimidine dimers - errors in nucleotide choice during repair (this could be as simple as chaning some of the tipo or value data of a DNA entry (you have to know how DNA reads in the program to understand that)).
3. Chemicals - Base analogue mispairing - single nucleotide substitution (same as above basically I think)
4. Spontaneous - isomerization of a base - single nucleotide substituition.
-------------------- or slipped mispairing - framshift and short deletion
5. Transposition - insertion of transposon into gene - insertional inactivation
6. Mispairing of repeated sequences - unequal crossing-over- deletions, addition, inversions
7. Homologue pairing - gene conversion - single nucleotide substitution.

Don't ask me what they all do, I don't know.  I'm just copying from my bio book.  Things like reproduction tend to increase the probability of mutations I think.  Dunno.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 03:44:59 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2005, 03:27:57 AM »
Okay, there are three kinds of gene shuffling:

1.  reciprocal recombination - in which chromosomes trade segments.
2.  gene transfer - one chromosome transfers segments to another
3.  chromosome assortment - where aech daughter cell gets a copy of one the parent cell's chromsomes.

Including all three, the way to go.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2005, 11:24:29 AM »
Ok You win , I will just have to make a new "First Bot" and mutate it from scratch...

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2005, 11:24:46 AM »
:D   Good to see such enthusiasm!  :D

As for me, knowing the complexity involved in all these things you describe, I am full of doubts. But don't listen to me, go for it.

One advice: Are you sure you know DNA's structure?  I suspect you are confused a bit with two strands of DNA and two sets of chromosomes.  Look into it.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2005, 12:20:08 PM »
No, I'm not confusing the two.  Although a double strand break of a DNA molecule will necessarily break the chromosome too.  Alot of the complexity we already have in different forms, it's just a matter of fine tuning them.

I'd stiff love thoughts on how to handle conflicting store commands.  I listed my ideas in the first post.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2005, 01:14:24 PM »
Your ideas were good.  I guess we'll have to set up arbitrary rules on how different commands are handled.  Sometimes it is better to average, other times add-up, other times - replace.  Just need to choose the most logical.

One prolem I see is that some of the store commands may address memory locations by name, but others by number.  There has to be a system to keep track of the two and bring them to common ground.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2005, 03:34:08 PM »
Memory locations by name are translated into numbers anyway when the DNA is loaded into the program, so it's not really a big problem.