Author Topic: Another frozen sim  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Another frozen sim
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:51:55 AM »
Check out this one. I don't understand how the bots can become so many without equal amount of veggies. They are not canibalistic so I don't know where they get there energy. The cost multiplier is set to it's most aggressive level and you can see on the graph that the bots have just begun to decrese in population, but too late. I guess that the only workaround for this at the moment is to put back costs in the DNA commands. This problem appeared after I decided to only have morphological costs. Ok, back to unrealistic costs then.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Another frozen sim
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 11:49:04 AM »
Your sim isn't frozen, it's just running very slow since you have so many bots.  If you think about it for a moment, what is happening is simple to understand.

The bots were laboring under heavy cost pressure, meaning they had some strategy that allowed them to surrive in the face of siginficant costs.  Since bots can eat faster than the costs can whither them away, finding food becomes the main determinant of survival.   A common strategy for finding food is to reproduce a lot.  You get a high moratilty rate, but you get a lot of offspring looking for food.  A few will find it.  But then something happens - all the veggies are on the far side of a shape or somethign and the population drops sufficiently to hit the zero cost threshold before the CostX multiplier can drop enough.  CostX hits 0 and suddenly yoru sim is full of bots who reproduce like crazy and there are no costs!  THe popualtion goes through the roof and CostX doesn;t start getting ratched up until the population exceeds the upper range.  But it's trajectory is ballistic and it way overshoots.  It will come back down once CostX gets high enough, but it takes a long while since the sim runs so slow with lots of bots...

The forthcoming costX reinstantement feature should address this.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 12:00:00 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Another frozen sim
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
eric l is right
im still looking to change my avatar
"If this is coffee bring me tea, If this is tea, bring me coffee"

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Another frozen sim
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:41:54 AM »
Quote from: Testlund
I guess that the only workaround for this at the moment is to put back costs in the DNA commands. This problem appeared after I decided to only have morphological costs. Ok, back to unrealistic costs then.  

Bah! I can't believe I wrote that! Well, much have changed since then. This topic should probably be deleted. It works fine with only morphological costs.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Another frozen sim
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 01:11:29 PM »
I dunno, you're probably not the first or last person to beat their head needlessly against the keyboard

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Another frozen sim
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 03:46:19 AM »
find it annoying, but then I find most moving avatars annoying
that is why I have changed my avatar
"If this is coffee bring me tea, If this is tea, bring me coffee"

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Another frozen sim
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 08:24:25 AM »
Quote from: fulizer
Where did you get the quote from?
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Another frozen sim
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Quote from: Peter
Quote from: fulizer
Where did you get the quote from?  

My thinking too!  The quote tags generally are supposed to tell people what you're responding to, but it doesn't do any good when the quoted text is never said anywhere