Author Topic: A picture of my evosim  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A picture of my evosim
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:38:05 AM »
I finally got something interesting here. Unfortunately it runs very slowly. I don't have planet eaters on and allready around 1000 objects on screen it goes below 1 cycle/sec.  

I could zip it and upload it if someones interested.

Note that it's actually over 18000 born in this sim, but when I clicked change the born counter started over.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 09:40:43 AM by Testlund »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
A picture of my evosim
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 11:02:17 AM »
The born counter bug is now fixed.  You will see it in 2.42.9 or 2.42.8c, whichever comes first.

The accumulation of mutation history can impact long run evo sims.  You might want to save the sim without mutation history and then re-load it and see if that has a speed impact.

Also, as bot genomes grow in length, or mutate to non-zero values, it takes longer to execute each bot.  A sim runs fastest when it full of bots with short, 0 valued genomes.  You should expect null evo sims to slow down over time.

There are a number of perf improvements in the recent buddy drops.  Nothing earth shattering, but every bit helps and I am continuing to profile and make improvements for 2.42.9.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A picture of my evosim
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 11:18:30 AM »
Yes, saving a sim without mutations and reloading it increased speed slightly. It runs with a speed at 1.2 cycles/sec with 1257 objects (890 vegs) in it. It's on my old computer with 512 RAM and 1.3 GHz processor. I think I can live with that.    So saving it without mutations and reload it from time to time might be a good idea.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
A picture of my evosim
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 11:39:35 AM »
Here's another nice screenshot. I decided to put slowly drifting shapes in it here to see how it will affect it.