Author Topic: system variables meanings  (Read 4981 times)

Offline wachtwoord

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
system variables meanings
« on: October 10, 2006, 12:09:09 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to this but it seems like fun and I study computer science so I should be able to do this.

I'm having trouble finding a acomplete list of all the sysvars meanings, like at *.up you can put the acceleration in the upwards direction for the comming cycle. There are loads more of these variables and I would like to find a complete list of them with their meanings.

Another thing I came across is the following:

If I run the following bot:

Code: [Select]
'bot

end

I keep getting more and more bots, how come? it does not have a gene to reproduce (it doesn't have gene's at all). This behaviour also shows with a trivial first gene.

Thanks in advance

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 01:11:48 PM »
For a complete list of all sysvars and their equivalent memory locations open up /DarwinbotsII/Sysvars2.21.txt in a file viewer such as Notepad.

For a complete (well almost anyway) description of what they do and how to use them, in-game, click the HELP menu. There is a chuffing great list of information in there on exactly what they all do. I spent ages putting all that up there and nobody ever even bothers to look at it.  

For the reason that empty bots keep reproducing..... Use V2.37.6 (or the newer 2,37 versions) where that doesn't happen.

2.37.6 is still the official version for combat bots but the 2.4x versions get used primarily for evolution SIMs. I can't answer much about the mechanics of 2.4x since I really only programmed up to 2.37 and am now on a legthy programming break due to insufficient time to get stuck into it again.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 01:13:09 PM by PurpleYouko »
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline wachtwoord

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 03:06:42 PM »
Damn I actually forgot to check the help inside the program, usually in open source projects help functions are extremly limited. But that was exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I'm going to read that when I have some time (and upgrade to a newer version).

Thanks  

edit:

aimsx   -----   Rotates me anti-clockwise by the value stored into this location.
aimdx   -----   Rotates me clockwise by the value stored in this location.
   Syntax.   (25 .aimdx store) will store a value of 25 in my memory location 5 (.aimdx)
      I will rotate by this amount. The input value must be in the range of 1 to 1256.

so the number 1256 equals a 360 degree turn? or 180? or 1256 degrees?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 03:12:11 PM by wachtwoord »

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 08:49:49 AM »
2.37.6 is actually an older version. It is just one of the most bug free versions that we have.

A lot of work is being done on 2.4 to make a better program and Numsgil is still working on a C++ version of the whole game that will run a lot smoother.
and those who don't

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 11:04:49 AM »
1256 is a complete turn.  Basically a full circle is 2 * pi * 200

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 03:01:45 PM »
If I remember correctly this was changed in one of Eric's earlier fixes, so you need to have a higher number for .aim in a later 2.4 version I think. That's why my Cyanobacterium Nostoc doesn't turn after it has reproduced one offspring unless the tie is cut or .aim is increased in the dna.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:39:29 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
If I remember correctly this was changed in one of Eric's earlier fixes, so you need to have a higher number for .aim in a later 2.4 version I think. That's why my Cyanobacterium Nostoc doesn't turn after it has reproduced one offspring unless the tie is cut or .aim is increased in the dna.
I didn't do this on purpose.    1256 .aimdx store should still be a 360...

Also, null bots should not reproduce in any version including 2.4.x.  I bet you marked it as an autotroph and they're not reproducing, rather the system is creating them cause it thinks they're plants.
Many beers....

Offline wachtwoord

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 06:45:57 PM »
No I didn't put them on autotroph (I just checked). But like I said I'll get a newer version when I have some time to get into this a bit.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 01:29:03 AM »
Bots reproducing without a gene to do so would be a bug.

.aim not behaving as advertised would be a bug.

If anyone has a sim which demonstrates either of these in 2.42.8, I would be very interested in taking a look....  Thanks.
Many beers....

Offline wachtwoord

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 05:45:33 AM »
Well it's the 2.37.6 version. But if it's fixed in newer version's it might be a little inefficient use of your time to go fix it in old versions

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 08:50:25 AM »
I just tested your bot in 2.37.6 and it just sits there doing nothing.
and those who don't