Author Topic: First unusual thing: INMORTAL BOT???  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Ramiro

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
First unusual thing: INMORTAL BOT???
« on: August 29, 2006, 09:44:17 PM »
I don´t know if this is a bug or something more interesting but I have seen an inmortal bot using version 2.37.6

It was a single cell bot evolved from a CERBERUS.

It moves straight in the direction of its eye a does NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING and when I look at its stas I noticed that when energy falls to 1000 it goes back to 1300 and so on!!!" Even when it was atacked by several other bots.

I Think that I have not saved the simulation,but if I can get the DNA I will post it.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 10:53:10 PM »
Most probably the bot is feeding from its body (which is sort of like fat).  You can find information on that here.

Offline Ramiro

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 08:31:22 AM »
So, it was no inmortal, Simply a fat lazy boy burning it´s own fat reservers very slowly, jajaj INTERESTING!!!

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 09:19:08 AM »
Just look through its DNA file and see if you find  something like this...

Code: [Select]
300 feedbody store
Remember that it may be rather convoluted and the "feedbody" sysvar may be present in the form of its direct memory address instead of the label.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 09:55:38 AM »
You should see a feedbody/strbody loop in almost all the bots created since body was added to DB. In DB v2.4+ I've heard that bots like having very small bodies as that makes them harder to hit but in DB v2.3+ bigger bodies seem to be an advantage still, it makes the bot more powerful allowing them to kill smaller bots with less shots. In v2.3+ the body size doesn't affect how hard a bot is to hit in the same way.

AFAIK the program uses pwaste to eventually kill off 'immortal bots'. The normal waste a bot produces will damage a bot if it gets to large but the waste can be ejected, pwaste (permanent waste) is also produced and can't be removed. When the waste or pwaste gets to large the bot runs a risk of destroying part of its code. This causes bots that get to old to malfunction and eventually die!
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline Ramiro

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 08:46:53 AM »
Quote from: Jez
AFAIK the program uses pwaste to eventually kill off 'immortal bots'. The normal waste a bot produces will damage a bot if it gets to large but the waste can be ejected, pwaste (permanent waste) is also produced and can't be removed. When the waste or pwaste gets to large the bot runs a risk of destroying part of its code. This causes bots that get to old to malfunction and eventually die!

Fantastic!!! Just like real methabolism (wich  produces end products wich are toxic to the organism that produces them).

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 08:53:37 AM »
Fantastic!!! Just like real methabolism (wich produces end products wich are toxic to the organism that produces them).
The buildup of pwaste is also proportional to the speed at which a bot spends its energy.
A lethargic, take-it-easy bot is going to live a whole bunch longer than a hyper-speed bot that runs around fighting, eating and reproducing.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 01:36:17 PM »
Fantastic!!! Just like real methabolism (wich produces end products wich are toxic to the organism that produces them).

Don't want to be a party-pooper, but actually this is NOT how real metabolism works...
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 02:13:12 PM »
(shh.  Don't spoil our fun )

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 06:24:40 PM »
I always compared that to calorie restriction being linked to longer life span.

What angle are you looking at it from Shvarz?

(Question asked from ignorance btw)
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have in your hands is a non-working cat.
Douglas Adams

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 12:51:18 AM »
Well, there is no such thing as permanent waste at all.  If there were, then we would have no bacteria, because bacteria can live forever.

As far as waste goes, while it is true that some products of metabolism are directly harmful to DNA, those are a minority.  Most waste products are harmful because they accumulate in high concentration in the body.  It is not that they are inhertently toxic, it's just that any compound present in a very high concentration in organism is going to mess things up.

The link between calorie restriction and longevity is an intersting one, but is not explained yet.  My personal opinion is that it does not have anything to do with the rate of metabolism and generation of waste, but is rather a regulatory mechanism, which ensures quick change of generations when times are good and long generations when food is scarce.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Jez

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 04:51:15 AM »
Thanks, didn't know that about bacteria.

a regulatory mechanism, which ensures a quick change of generations when times are good and long generations when food is scarce.

Sounds like pwaste is doing the right sort of thing for now, maybe someone will come up with a better way of modeling it for DB in the future, like allowing pwaste to be switched off so you can more accurately replicate bacteria.

Maybe making it part of the code, or genetic, allowing the bot to gain a bit more nutrition from the food or gain nutrition from a food it couldn't use otherwise might be better.  
Douglas Adams

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 12:32:39 PM »
If you set the waste threshold to 0, you will effectively turn off waste effects.  Just a postscript

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 11:11:42 AM »
Quote from: shvarz
The link between calorie restriction and longevity is an intersting one, but is not explained yet.  My personal opinion is that it does not have anything to do with the rate of metabolism and generation of waste, but is rather a regulatory mechanism, which ensures quick change of generations when times are good and long generations when food is scarce.

There have been some new studies here which basicaly confirm Shvarz's opinion.  Turns out that in rats, yes, if you restrict their calorie intake, they live longer but the reason they live longer is only indirectly related to caloric intake.  A tremendous percentage of a rat's metabolism is geared towards reproduction, much more so than for msot other animals or mammels.  Turns out when you restrict caloric intake sufficiently, the rat stops reproducing and applyies what caloric intake remains towards cell repair, etc. making the rat live longer.

It's the reallocation of resources away from reproduction that leads to longer life (in rats) and not the lower caloric intake per se.  The study I read said it was unlikely similar results would occur in other species which don't share the same resoruce utilization bias towards massive reproduction.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 11:41:18 AM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 06:38:57 PM »
Very interesting.