Author Topic: what's a bot made off  (Read 7050 times)

Offline Jorge Doménico Bucarán Romano

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
what's a bot made off
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 04:39:19 PM »
Well yes, someone is looking at it. If you let me, I must say I'm very thrilled about this life simulation topic. I specially like DB since it allows for the creation of your own species' DNA. I wish I can sort out my time and start making a similar project of my own, but first I must follow all the way you guys been taking, you sure have a monster (written in VB   ).

Right now Im concerned with writing DNA. You can do many things and it is fun to code since it resembles assembly (so anyone who never "got" assembly well (me for the sake) can live the dream there). I should ask this in a different post, but I was thinking; Do you keep coming up with better Bots constantly or you think you have reached a state of near-perfection in what DNA-ASM humbly provides? This question is for everyone.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
what's a bot made off
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 05:21:50 PM »
Assembly really clicked after I learned Darwinbots.  There's some differences but they just sort of feel the same.

Bot perfection seems to be attained... only to be bested.  There's still room for growth.  Most top bots take about a weekend to write.  My first bot which more or less dominated F1 when it came out took about a week to tweek, but the base was ready very quickly.

Things have gotten a little harder now with bots that are single genes.  It's impressive, but the result is quite difficult to decode and moderately annoying to encode, which has, I think, slowed down combat bot creation a little.

To give you an idea though, Animal Minimalis is in the leagues and it's about as simple as it gets.  It's not that hard to get a bot somewhere in the leageues.
--------------------------
If you're a programmer (either VB or C++) and want to help code after you get your feet wet, you could help either Eric or me.  I'm working (slowly) on a C++ port that's hopefully a little cleaner and easier to maintain.  Eric's maintaining and adding to the VB version, which has the benefit of actually being "done"   You can look here for info on the C++ port.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 05:22:38 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Jorge Doménico Bucarán Romano

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
what's a bot made off
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 06:30:38 PM »
Thank you. I am definetely interested. Also, I want to learn the principles of life, evolution, reproduction, metabolism, interaction, creation and many other realted topics. I see DB as a great idea. One can get fascinated about it, and have a lot of fun with it, but ultimately, we as "scientists" must keep developing this idea, learning and trying to do new things.

I have to check the C++ info link with more calm, but I like that one of the reasons is because you know more C++ than VB. I have not check the code, hope you dont have all done. Finally, tell me, what do you (and you guys) know on genetics and biology, your source of information actually. Do not tell me you are nano-bio-tech engeneers or something. Well, share.