Author Topic: running the leagues  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Ark

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
running the leagues
« on: June 20, 2006, 06:13:25 AM »
hi, haven't been on in a while but school has been getting, well, lets say fun....

Anywho, I'm trying to pick up where I left off, was wondering what exactly I need to do to run a league the way its run officially.  The information on the website is somewhat incomplete.  how many robots do I start each species with? how much energy?  How do I get different ladder modes other than just challenge, especially if the official leagues are run in a different way?  Thanks in advance.

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
running the leagues
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 11:00:55 AM »
When you start a sim in league mode, all the physics presets are automatically set up for you.
The list of robots that you added in the "species" tab will be run against the robots listed in your "league' file automatically and one at a time.

One round of a league contest consists of two robots and a veggie species. (alga minimalis)

If the challenger wins then he is promoted one position in the league and the defeated defender moves down one place. The successful challenger then moves on to the next defender.

In order to run leagues you must have the following set up on your PC.
  • Under your "DarwinbotsII" folder you must have a "Leagues" sub-folder.
  • Under the "Leagues" folder you must have another subfolder for each league you wish to run. I have "F1league" and "F2league" set up on mine but you can make your own unique league if you like.
  • Each of these league folders must contain DNA files for ALL the robots that you want to run in that league.
  • If you want to start your own league tables then you need the following files in your main "Leagues" folder. (not the individual leagues folders)
    • A league table named something such as "F1leaguetable.txt" or "F2leaguetable.txt". Use the included blank table as a template if you don't already have such a folder.
Give this a try and let me know if it doesn't work. It can be a little tricky setting up a new league.

One thing you will need to do is after you have run a league, go into the "Leagues" folder and delete any files with the .bak extension.
The program uses these for temporary data storage and often leaves them there afterwards. A league will NOT run if it still has an active .bak file in this folder.

Some of the leagues management software is incomplete so any option other than "Challenge" may not be fully implemented and may crash the program.
Likewise some versions of DB have an option to automatically create a new league. (I think this was dropped in newer versions since the code was never fully implemented) If your vesion has this and you press the button it will invariably crash Darwinbots.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
running the leagues
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 11:02:51 AM »
Additionally, I am not sure whether the leagues work in 2.4X
I can only speak for 2.3X versions in which the official league are still run (occasionally   )
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
running the leagues
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 03:50:05 PM »
I think Griz reported some issues with leagues in 2.4.