Author Topic: 2.42.6e  (Read 9464 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 11:32:23 AM »
Actually I think that version has a debugging feature turned on.  In that version, the bot turns a color approriate to the type of shot that impacted it (just for 1 cycle).  It won't be that way in the next official release.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 11:45:48 AM »
No, I meant that before when I zoomed out all the bots and veggies looked like solid dots, but now when I zoom all the way out they are still little circles, wich looks better.

But I found this instead. I have a screenshot here with Triangulus communicating with ties that blink white, but also causes the bot to turn solid white. It doesn't bother me much but maybe that's not supposed to be.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 11:50:21 AM »
It's crashing on me quite a lot

When I try to run Una 3.0 ot SWARM SG in a sim it gives an overflow error in the first couple of seconds

I don't seem to be doing anything other than putting Una or SWARM SG in the sim so maybe you could run a sim and step through it in VB (unless its one of those pesky executable-specific bugs) - it should overflow within seconds.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 12:00:31 PM »
Sometimes I post here a little too quickly before I have checked something out properly. It looks like the bots turns white for a cycle when they pick up an energy shot, like you said, Eric. But I think this looks nice though. It's easier to tell this way when a bot picks up a shot.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 12:06:19 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
No, I meant that before when I zoomed out all the bots and veggies looked like solid dots, but now when I zoom all the way out they are still little circles, wich looks better.
Ah, right.  I did fixed a minor bug where the fillstyle wasn't getting initialized to transparent.  Bots would be solid until you zoomed.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 12:07:44 PM »
Quote from: Elite
It's crashing on me quite a lot

When I try to run Una 3.0 ot SWARM SG in a sim it gives an overflow error in the first couple of seconds

I don't seem to be doing anything other than putting Una or SWARM SG in the sim so maybe you could run a sim and step through it in VB (unless its one of those pesky executable-specific bugs) - it should overflow within seconds.
Any chance you can attach the sim?  Helps me save time.  Thanks.
Many beers....

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 12:12:58 PM »
error.sim is attached

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 12:13:05 PM »
error.sim is attached

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 12:13:33 PM »
error.sim is attached

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 12:14:05 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
Sometimes I post here a little too quickly before I have checked something out properly. It looks like the bots turns white for a cycle when they pick up an energy shot, like you said, Eric. But I think this looks nice though. It's easier to tell this way when a bot picks up a shot.  
You will like what this feature becomes in 2.42.7 then.  Instead of turning the whole bot solid, I display a smaller circle (radius 20) at the point of impact.  This allows for easy identification of shot impact as well as the type of shot and the actual point of impact.  It also lets you see multiple impacts that happen on the same bot on the same cycle.

I needed this for debugging.  Its not very computationaly costly and it turns off with any of the graphics reduction settings.  You can also turn it off exclusively, so everyone should be happy.
Many beers....

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 12:15:44 PM »
OK, after much coaxing it uploaded, I hope this works ...

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 12:33:55 PM »
Quote from: Elite
OK, after much coaxing it uploaded, I hope this works ...
Got it.  Bot 17's velocity is overflowing the single valued vaurables in the friction routine.  I suspect somewhere the code is doing assignment using a double or Long.  Will have to look at everyplace velocity gets changed.  Probalby has to do with gravity.  Stay tuned.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
Is it possible for you to post a sim from before the error occurred?  The error.sim file contains bots whose velocity has already overflowed.  I need to track down the root cause of why the velocity is overflowing in the first place so I need to catch it in the act so to speak.

BTW, I suspect this is specific to your specific physics settings, so I do appreciate you posting the sim as it lets me reproduce them exactly.  Thanks.
Many beers....

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 01:33:51 PM »
OK, here's a similar sim, it will overflow within a couple of cycles

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.42.6e
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 02:28:08 PM »
Found it.  In sims with fluid density=0, the sphere drag routine could cause bot velocities to get progressivly smaller and smaller but never reach 0, eventually resulting in an overflow of the Single valued velocity varibles.  I now avoid the drag routine all together when density is 0 (without fluid desity there is no drag - friction yes, but not drag) and added some protection code which now sets very very small velocities to zero in such cases.

Here's a new buddy drop.  Give it a try.

Darwinbots 2.42.6c
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:29:41 PM by EricL »
Many beers....