Author Topic: And now, on a lighter note......  (Read 4753 times)

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
And now, on a lighter note......
« on: June 15, 2006, 10:38:19 AM »
I just had a lovely little gem of campus mail today.

It is a routine form which all staff at the university have to fill out every couple of years to record any changes in things like street address, marital status etc.

On one column it shows the current information and in the other column it leaves a space to write in any changes. At the top of the right column it says something like "Please enter any changes so that we can update our records"

Sounds pretty innocuous and normal right?

Possibly not though once you see what kind of records they have on the page.

Section 3 deals with "Ethnicity"
The left column lists me as "White".
The right column has a nice list of options which can be circled to show any changes and a box for comments (labelled "explanation").  

For a brief moment I was extremely tempted to circle "Asian" and write in the box "I thought I would spend a couple of years as a Chinese person to see if I like it"  

Maybe next year I will become a Hispanic for a while if Chinese doesn't work out for me.  
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:14:28 PM »
Explanation: "Turns out I was Asian.  Who knew?"

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 12:34:07 PM »
I usually choose African (not Black) if they have it.  'Whiteness' is a farily recent adaptation in Homo sapians as are the other visual characterisitcs that most people use to define the other terms.   My ancestors spent the vast majority of the last 2.5 million years that our Genus has been in existance in Africa (as did yours) and so that choice seems to me to be the most meaningful.    
Many beers....

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 01:58:24 PM »
I'm just pissed that they didn't have an option for "Martian"  
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 02:05:44 PM »
Well, don't worry.  We certainly think of you that way.  
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 02:17:22 PM »
Quote from: EricL
'Whiteness' is a farily recent adaptation in Homo sapians...

Is it really? I whould have thought that black and white people evolved at the same time, from a hairy ancestor. Hehe.  

I whould have imagined that people who stayed in Africa turned black over time to be better protected from the sun.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 03:04:24 PM »
Light skin color is a high-lattitude adpatation which allows more light to enter the skin, helping vitimin D production amoung other things.  The consensus view is that it did not evolve until relatively recently and only after Homo sapiens left Africa, which did not happen until about 100k years ago.

The consensus on hairyness is that it can come and go, and may have done so many times over the course of our evolution (which is what you would expect as a pretty useful adpatation to changing climate conditions) but that a good deal of our most recent hair loss predates (by a lot) our ancestors exit out of Africa.  Therefor, the consensus is that all our ancestors were dark skinned until recently when they left Africa (for those of us descended from populations which did in fact leave Africa) and light skin only evolved recently as a result of sleection pressure in high-lattitude populations (Northern Europe, Scandanavia).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 03:05:28 PM by EricL »
Many beers....