Author Topic: Dynamic sizes  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Dynamic sizes
« on: May 26, 2006, 03:46:09 PM »
I would seriously think about including the option in 2.4, of being able to toggle them on and off, from how it is now in 2.4, to how it was in 2.37.6

When I compare my combat bots in 2.37.6 and in 2.4, it's the dynamic sizes that stand out. I end up with lots of small bots, which affects their combat ability and looks messier (and the shot ranges are massive compared to the bots themselves, which leads to shots flying everywhere messily)

How easy/difficult would it be to add the option - just a simple tick-box somewhere?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 03:46:40 PM by Elite »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Dynamic sizes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 03:59:03 PM »
The tick box is easy.  The code that implements it... may not be.  I'll take a look fro the next version.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Dynamic sizes
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 04:43:15 PM »
I don't remember how many places in the code update radius.  Obviously it should be moved to a function (it is in C++ version).

I wouldn't re-implement 2.37X sizing, as it was a little screwy.  Instead I would just enforce a radius of 60 on all bots (RobSize I believe, or maybe RobSize / 2 if RobSize is radius).

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Dynamic sizes
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 04:53:24 PM »
An incredibly minor point: I would phrase the toggle as "disable dynamic sizes" instead of "enable dynamic sizes" as a kind of way to show this "feature" is deprecated -- dynamic sizes are prefered.

Offline Elite

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Dynamic sizes
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 02:59:50 PM »
Is this doable for the next drop? Or not?

How 'fragmented' is the update radius coding?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Dynamic sizes
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:32:35 PM »
Implemented in 2.42.6.  Checkbox on the General tab.  Turned out to be easy as FindRadius() was abstracted.  It's even dynamic, so you can turn it on and off while a sim is running and the right thing happens.
Many beers....