Author Topic: Shooting evolved  (Read 2621 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Shooting evolved
« on: June 08, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »
I think I saw someone say that shooting has never evolved in a sim?  Is it true, no one has seen a tie-feeder ever to start firing shots?  Ever?  Why is that?  Shooting command itself does not seem too difficult to appear in a genome.  Or do people mean that it never "appeared" as in "appeared, but never became a predominant way of feeding"?

Cause I have some Carnatus Orbis (a tie-feeder) running around and constantly shooting (admittedly, out of his ass, but nevertheless shooting).  Anyone interested in looking at genomes of those or at pictures of them?
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Shooting evolved
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 08:53:09 PM »
The difficulty seems to me to be that since you need to fire exactly -1 or -6 to make any energy feeding through shots, it's not terribly likely to develop.

A change I made in the C++ version was to mod negative shots be 10 and positive shots by 1000, which should help modifly the acceptable values bots can use to feed.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Shooting evolved
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 01:23:20 AM »
I've seen an nrg shot feeder start occasionally body feeding. Seems the problem with feeding from body is that the bot needs to be able to process the body it receives back into nrg. An occasional body feeder would be okay though since it can still nrg shot feed.

Some of the bots do seem to use shots to exchange some sort of information, trying to figure out what they were sending, fried my brain though