Author Topic: Sim size  (Read 3714 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Sim size
« on: June 08, 2006, 03:15:30 PM »
This may be completely stupid of me, but I just now realized that if you turn off the "wrapping" of the field, then you in a way double the size of your field.  Because if you have wrapping, then the largest distance between any two bots is half your screen, while with wrapping off you can have the whole screen.

Seems obvious now, but I never thought about it before
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Sim size
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 05:27:01 PM »
It's not so much that you double the size - the size of the bot's universe is the same in either case - but the torid is a curved surface in 3 dimensional space while an unwrapped field is an unwarped 2 dimensional space.  Thus, the 2 dimensional distance between any two bots when the field is wrapped is warped by the 3 dimensional shape of the space in which they actually reside (but are unaware of).  What they perceive as 2D space is really a projection of a 3D continium in the same way our perception of 3D space is really a projection of 4D spacetime (yea yea, I'm ignoring string theory).

The other nice thing about not wrapping (particularly with large fields) is that it you gives you some degree of topology which can impact isolation which is critical for speciation.
Many beers....